Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Defining Success

     Before launching any new project, venture or business, my daddy always taught me you must first define success, so that you can measure your progress against a scale of time and money to see if you are on track.

     While good advice for business, today success takes on new meaning for me as I find myself spotting it everywhere I turn...more often these days, in ways money can't buy...

     (And may I just say, it's been a particularly successful weekend.)

   Coming home from a long day in Nashville, I turned into my drive to find my lawn newly mown by a neighbor who took it upon himself to do so with no questions asked...Getting out of my Jeep I noticed another neighbor, had delivered my (heretofore broken Cub mower) gifting me not only his skills, but his time in purchasing parts, and getting the machine back and forth...Taking care of something I had postponed all winter long...That to me, is success.
  
    The next day began with a text from a friend...on his way to interview Blake Shelton, no less...(How successful is that? ) And yet how kind of him, I thought... to take the time to check on me along the way, and ask about my brother (recovering from an automobile accident that left him with a broken neck)... I thought, how blessed I am to have such loving and talented friends, in professions they adore, doing things they love, here now to uplift me in my otherwise, not-so-ordinary, ordinary day Thanks, you! For sharing your success ...

    I opened my computer to post an update, thanking folks for their prayers, their care and concern ...and the outpouring of comments and overwhelming love there beaming at me through my computer screen...it brought me to tears...These prayers, (I thought) they're working! (If that's not success...)

     I stepped outside to see 5 big, white dogs, 18 goats (and 2 cats)...I plop down in a big sea of fur... tails wagging, critters slurping...baby goats jumping that cute sideways jump...I hug their huge necks...and scratch between horns (where goats like it best)... Everyone's safe and sound, just ready to see their mama again...I smile as I think, "Now this is success."

     But my bestest success of these past several days came while holding the hand of my precious big brother...Together we greet a beautiful new day, watching a perfect sunrise reflect off steely hospital windows...We cranked up his iPhone and sang with Bill Gaither; Ed wiggles his toes and squeezes my hand back...

     I don't care how you define it...
     THIS is success...


Post Script: To be sure, the journey has just begun...My brother continues to show improvement, though it's not been without its challenges...My family thanks you for your love and support and begs your continued prayers...(Funny that something as simple as posting this update feels successful to me this fine day. God bless you every one. Again, my heartfelt thanks.)
   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...