Saturday, August 1, 2015

For Teddy

   
       
     My life is peaceful for the most part these days. Any conflict... inner turmoil, usually involves my animals: my feral cats aren't feral...my dogs don't know their pecking order. Otherwise, while I observe things like international politics and presidential debates, I no longer ingest these things personally like I used to...May be age, may be wisdom, but I find myself resonating more with each passing day to that line in the serenity prayer: those things I cannot change, I leave for others. I've got goats to feed and corn to pick.
     When I DO find myself unnerved by something over which I have no say, I pause to ask myself "Why, Evins? Why does this bug you so? What about this pea under umpteen mattresses (i.e. layers of my life) is sticking in your craw?"
     Today, I hit such a pea. Made no sense why it hit me like it did..but at least one of my friends got an earful on my drive home from Nashville. (Thanks dude, for allowing me to vent. Clearly I'm not quite done yet.)
     Setting:
     If you follow this blog you know, I now live in the country. Nashville is no longer the home I once knew, but is still, a place I go for meetings, and today was chock full of 'em. To allow the rush hour to subside, I stop off at one of my favorite eateries to take home food for the weekend. While waiting, I pick up a Scene. (Note: I've not read a Scene in awhile now; don't think they deliver them as far as Lebanon, but my history with Scene people is rich and it's personal...(i.e. the dudes who founded the original are friends; ditto that for its current owner today. Don't know all its writers, but I know a few...not that this matters.)
     For reasons that make absolutely no sense ( note: I used to read the Scene for its political views and as I have stated, I limit my intake of this stuff anymore) I flip to the "culture" segment of the paper only to find that Shirley MacLaine is coming to Nashville. And to read the article, you'd think she's walking into alien territory.
     Now, for reasons that perhaps DO make sense (for they are hitting a button BIG time in me), I feel my blood pressure rising. The article ends with Ms. MacLaine's response to the question: How do you think you'll be received (by Nashville) ...Answer: "I don't know. Let's see...They probably think I'm crazy. Let's see what happens."

     (I'm sure there's an emoticon for this somewhere, but bug eyes, wide open come to mind.)

     You don't KNOW? Seriously, Miss MacLaine? You've got no clue about Nashville and her people and curiosity about these things?
     Wow. That's a shocker. For a woman whose interviews cost us sponsors in the day...For a woman whose trans-channeling guru (Kevin Ryerson) played at TPAC to a sold out auditorium thanks to Teddy Bart....I'm surprised that you can remember at seven years of age, a past life holding a pistol, and can't remember 25 years ago, a man who dared to interview you when certain clergy in this town preached we were going to hell. (I know. I walked out of my own Nashville church the day it was said... It's now starting to dawn on me why this is hitting a nerve.)
     I hold no angst. Hope her show's a big sell out, after all Shirley's provided us many a good interview. But to set the record straight Shirley, Teddy interviewed you both when you went "Out on a Limb" as well as when you wrote "It's All In the Playing" Best sellers, and not-so-best sellers, Teddy was there for you.
     Props to Abby White for nabbing the interview. But I'm sorely disappointed in you Shirley MacLaine for acting as if you have no clue how Nashville will respond.
     Today, these topics are safe thanks to the visionaries who blazed the path. In the 80s...it took nerve to give an hour of air time over to someone that could've gotten a host killed, or at the very least, condemned to hell.
     Just gotta take a moment to speak up here on behalf of a partner who saw this day coming and sadly didn't live to see it take place.
     On the other hand, I'm kinda glad Teddy's not here to see it. He would've been so proud that topics like life after life and reincarnation have made it to the Schermerhorn. On the other hand, I think it would've made him very sad to think no one remembered that he, not only interviewed them, yes here in the buckle of the Bible belt, but HE took the hit when people made a mockery of folks like Shirley MacLaine AND himself, Teddy Bart--one of the best and bravest interviewers to ever grace a mic. That he approached those interviews with the same dignity and respect he approached EVERY interview... well that was just the way he rolled. (So for those of you being ridiculed by everyone else back then...you lucked out.)
     Rest in peace Teddy Bart. What you said would happen, IS happening. But sadly, no one seems to remember you were there first.
     (But I do...and while it's not very spiritual of me to admit this, it kinda pisses me off.)

     I now return to my regularly scheduled goat feedings. (THIS is why I moved to the country. I'm done venting now. Sorry to take up space normally reserved for cute goat faces and big, fluffy white dogs. Just goes to show, I'm as human as the rest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...