Friday, May 6, 2016

And Then There Was Roz

   
     So lest you tire of all this talk of tubes and toilet habits...liquids coming and going...figure if I'm gonna write a blog called Karlen's Garden it seems a good time to get back to "how this all affects the care-takers" and "wonder just what happens when you watch someone you love's life turn on a dime, which makes you scramble not just to BE there, but be there constantly, consistently, forever uplifting, positive, supportive...
    (This blog is not about me, btw... It's about my sweet Roz.)
     For starters, Roz, (along with my other 4 Pyrs, 18 goats, and 3 cats)...has been amazingly patient...amazingly supportive. Somedays lunch is breakfast. Somedays breakfast is dinner. Somedays, (always fresh water) but no sign of "When she's coming back next?" then suddenly "poof"... oodles of hugs...(Thank you God for making them so unconditional...)
     But Roz -- is my topic of conversation today. And lest this come across as my one snarky post, well, my heart's in the right place. I just find it ironic the rules as we're told them.
     Herein lies the story:
     So my brother, ("Thank You Ed") gets to leave in the next 48 -72 hours for the next chapter of this journey (namely rehab at a place in Atlanta, which shall remain nameless, but they say it's the best in the country).  Known not only for helping those dealing in life-changing injuries, (and specializing in spinal) they also boast encouragement of the support networks (meaning family members)...Though the support network of the support network...? Well...maybe...not so much.
     I begin by saying, I know there are rules. And asking if I might bring Roz (now a registered therapy dog, btw) to be there a) for me (I confess, she's my family representative and being gone from all my family above, I inhaled great energy thinking of Roz making the trek) b) for my brother, (who will, spend time in a wheelchair, if not for therapy alone...wheelchairs being the next round of service training for a Pyr like Roz, aiming for her own great heights to be representative of the breed now highly recommended for returning vets. It's a no-brainer, right? My brother's in rehab; I'll be by his side, but only for the 5 hours a day that they let me...The other 19 ...(when normally I'd be putting out a garden or a cookbook or tending to goats or building a barn), I began making plans to take Roz in for training...(There's a great organization just miles up the road who trains all sorts of breeds for all sorts of things; in short, Roz and I would spend our time in school until available for Ed, where we hoped (wishful thinking) maybe she could practice her skills with the uncle she knows and loves...No brainer, right?)
     But no, no...nay, nay...
     Despite what the website says about the value of canine companions...
          Despite the plethora of people hugging dogs in official looking vests (which Roz now has)
               Despite their own statistic of 87% of participants here benefit from canine therapy...
Don't ask to bring in your own...that might want to learn as her family learns...That might have a mom wanting to work with her while her own brother is working on the very same things in the very same area. The rules say no. No room in the inn...(kinda ironic, now that I think about it given Roz's last 5 months spent volunteering with homeless)

     To be sure, this journey began with my brother...and my focus is seeing him through.
     But as everyone tells me, I'm only as good as my own ability not to 'give out' along the way... I'll gladly give all. (But seriously folks, would it kill you to allow me my own support network at the end of the day?)

     Not giving up hope. There've been gracious offers from friends who'd gladly house Roz. (It just means lots of extra driving, when we could be training...to help people learning to cope with new skills often using (wait for it...wait for it) registered canine companions. Oh the humanity!)

     I just find it funny (if not slightly hypocritical), but in the words of Forrest Gump:
    That's all I have to say about that.

    (Since clearly the prayer thing worked for my brother, maybe this time you pray for Roz...if not her, then please pray for me.)

     Here's embracing this new chapter in Ed's life for sure, but in my own life as well, which is, after all,  the only one I have a say in.  Please pray not only for his strength, but also each and every other family member, likewise juggling new hours, new rules....learning how best to support this guy we all love.

     They say we are tough... Us Evinses, survivors...
     (But Roz is an Evins too.)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...