Thursday, May 5, 2016

You Can't Make this S--- Up

   
     So, once again, our life has changed on a dime... Since last posting, we were cheering because Ed had consumed half a bowl of broth and we were waiting, hoping, praying it stayed down and (how to put this delicately) "came through" ~

     And came through it did! (For my staunchly conservative Christian friends, forgive the language, but sometimes humor is the best medicine...I told my nieces and sister-in-law, we're the only family in the world PRAYING right now that Shit Happens ....and happens for us! I swear, I'll never look at that bumper sticker the same again~ LOL!)

     First of all...we thank GOD! Second, I (and of course "Thank you Ed") thank YOU...and third, we thank our family up above... (If I had not been a witness to this one, I wouldn't believe it myself)...

     So last I left him, he hadn't had a bite in 18 days (so I bit him! --Ba-da-boom!)
     But in all seriousness, his tubes were securely in place...machines were doing his bis-niss for him.
   
     I come home for a nap and a bath...next I know, I receive a text saying they're pulling his tubes and gonna try this clear liquid diet thing again... His daughter Shannon, working an internship in Boston to become (get this) a nutritionalist for trauma patients, texts "SLOWLY...GO SLOWLY ON THIS." (Last time we tried this it didn't turn out so well...)

     Keep in mind, he's looking at that hospital bowl of broth like it's a Ruth's Chris's steak. I knew if I had been on that shift, it would've been all I could do to pace things to one spoonful every 10 - 15 minutes, I can tell you that.)

     I text my other niece Tiffany to say "You might want to be there for this...I KNOW how happy he'll be." She was on it like white on rice.

     Patiently we wait... (The ultimate "wait for it...wait for it...")

     Next text (some 12 hours later) is, "They're moving off trauma...to a regular room...AND they are putting him on solid foods AND he can have whatever he wants." (I admit, I wasn't the only one asking "What the flip are they thinking?  From half a bowl of broth to totally solid AND he gets to pick?)

     Who am I to question doctors? Who am I to question God? But when I get the news that Ed has requested Uncle Herschel's Breakfast from Cracker Barrel no less, AND it's on the way, I literally laughed out loud! (For quite frankly, I thought it was a joke.)

     By the time I arrived back last night, Ed was smiling, sitting up, happy as a clam, and he proudly says to me...I've never loved our Uncle Hershel more... coming and going! 

     Folks, give yourselves a hug for us and THANK YOU for the prayers! Looks like we're rehab bound! I'm home now washing clothes and packing for a little more than a 3-hour cruise ~ (Can we say "ROAD TRIP!" Look out Atlanta, here we come!)

     In all seriousness, nothing has EVER proven that prayers work and that miracles CAN and DO happen like our last 24 hours, and we truly DO have you, your prayers, and the good Lord above to thank~

     And if ever we needed proof, that our family over yonder is with us here as well, well...this one said it for us~ Thank you Daddy, Uncle Danny...Uncle Jack...and most of all THANK YOU Uncle Herschel! ) Give our family over there a big ol hug from all of us~ (and please don't take it personally, but Ed's not coming to visit you anytime soon :)

Author's Note: FYI, I have set up a Caring Bridge page for those interested in Ed's day-to-day progress while away at rehab and will make public that (and his mailing) address with the first post. Not that this blog won't reference what's happening from time to time (as he is my life right now), but to let you know the medical progress so as to keep your prayer requests focused, it'll save me from repeating it 1000 times at the end of each day~ More to follow...Again, our sincerest heartfelt thanks to you all for your faith and prayers. Our family feels so blessed...Our God is so good! May this bring comfort to those of you likewise praying for your families...We join in lifting you up as well.)

1 comment:

  1. Karlen, That is so wonderful. I know that brothers are very special and I also know that prayer does indead work. So happy for you and your family

    ReplyDelete

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...