Tuesday, July 7, 2015

My Doggone Weekend

   
    Adding another layer to the whole "unintended consequences" of farm life, my Hakuna Matata circle of life is on full tilt, ramifications for which now leave me with busted knee, neck, knuckles and you-know-what. Ouch doesn't begin to describe it.
     Life changes when the garden comes in. Veggies wait on no one; once it starts, things must be picked daily, then pickled, canned or frozen in short order, leaving little time for anything else and the kitchen looking like a bomb went off as a result. Scraps and peels and pulp make for hearty composting, which (I'm starting to notice) seems to have affected my bunny population. (They were everywhere before. Now they are really everywhere!) As a result, the big dogs are going bonkers. (Toss holiday fireworks into the mix and it was the perfect storm before the real storms rolled in.)
     Going out for my nightly check o' things, I flipped on the porch light, which (cue the bunnies), threw Rosebud into a rambunctious burst of focused determination. In an instant she leapt right through the gate (yes, through the gate...there is a narrow opening near the upper fourth that Rosebud, being somewhat thinner and loads more wily, fit perfectly through... who knew?)
     After a brief romp of the yard she returned to the porch, so rather than risk it happening twice, I brought her in with Rosey for the night. By morning, we'd resume our morning brekfuss ritual, she'd go back in to eat as Rosey does, and I'd be out a little time for a little extra dog hair, but better that than losing a dog~ (Ah, but I was thinking like Rosey, not Rosebud, who was clearly thinking, "There's rabbits in them-there hills, and rabbits make nice brekfusses too.") With food bowls in hand I opened the door, and BOOM! Off bolts Rosebud through flowerbeds and trees.
     Four hours she was gone, and Rosey with her. Thought they might just do a short run, a little yard inspection, then come back to eat, but no such luck. I tended to the others, carried on with the goats and the watering. Then returned to the house where every 10 minutes I'd open the door and holler loudly.  (Note: Certain efforts are futile in these first couple of hours as 1) they run away, not towards you, when being chased (this is a very stubborn breed of dog) 2) they were not trained as pups to get into vehicles 3) it takes 2 - 3 people to lure and lift even one dog. I was talking 2. 4) This was a holiday weekend...Bothering friends was not high on my agenda...
     Eventually they'd tire. Plus they had not eaten. Two facts in my favor. Otherwise, I acknowledged my helplessness, lit a candle, got centered, and prayed: God please bring them home safely, which eventually God did.
     It's a tough call to make, once you finally hear that familiar ka-thumping of two very large dogs returning to your porch, "Do I scold or do I hug?" is the logical question...In the end, relief wins out as gratitude overtakes you. The first expression upon opening the door can make or break you, after all these are stubborn, but sensitive dogs. One scowl could send them backing down the steps.
      It was an easy lure in (after all they had a loving mama, their food, and a/c on this side of the door) Not so easy getting Rosebud back out. I waited till dark, attached leash to collar. But just as we hit the porch steps, another rabbit and I'll be derned if she didn't drag me across a steps, chairs and a rather large log of a planter before we finally got her in.
    Next day, first order of business was to re-wire the gate, reinforce the get-away gap and make sure Rosebud was well secured, as I do not care to fall for this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...