Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Good Day for a Miracle

    It was a VERY long night.
    Did the evening critter check around 8pm only to discover my baby girl twin (born the day before) was missing. Cupid was safely tucked in her stall with her baby boy snuggly by her side; her lack of concern duly noted. I thought perhaps she knew where the baby was hiding, and given both TJ and Hix were resting peacefully...I decided to call it a day.
     Exhausted from the roller coaster of emotions ranging from bliss of birth to death of a buzzard, I went to bed early, but awoke around 1 am concerned for the baby, so I suited up and headed to the barn, flashlight in hand hoping to see Cupid back with her two. Sadly this was not the case.
     Heading out into total darkness, Cupid now accompanies me. Crying for her baby we do as best we can given flashlights and limited vision. Sadly, to no avail...By 4 am I return to bed.
     Morning appointments that cannot be rearranged has Pat arriving early. We do one more search while feeding all the rest. From 7 - 8 we scour the land...Cupid passes on her breakfast to walk by my side along the entire fence line. Baby boy twin tags alongside, likewise crying. TJ takes the counter trail. Still no baby girl.
     I think of the buzzard. I examine the gates. Could she have wriggled her way through the crack? Last I saw her it was around 6 pm when friends were holding her taking pictures.
     Second born, smaller of the two; could she have been puny and thus abandoned? (Not like Cupid who is one of my most maternal mama goats, but nature is nature. These things do happen.) Overnight with no protection is one thing. No milk for 14 hours is quite another for a 2 day old baby goat. Sadly my reasoning was overriding my faith.
     We arrive back on the farm around noon. With site visits at 1; Pat heads out first while I change clothes. He shoots me a text: Was it the girl that was missing?
     I race out the door to find TJ on the scene...trailing and nudging, sniffing and prodding our precious little girl baby back to her  mama. (The other baby, which Pat cannot see, is on my side of the goat house with Cupid. Seems she favors her boy.)
     For the life of me I have no clue what happened. And at some point you just stop and thank God for the miracle...The rest just leaves you in a perpetual state of awe. (Thanks to those of you who shared your support and prayers. It really was a miracle to behold.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...