Sunday, July 19, 2015

Critter Updates (aka The DoLittle Daily)

     It has been brought to my attention I have left certain stories hanging in the balance. It's not that I meant to. Life has been absolutely, positively on full tilt now that the summer is here, goats are popping babies, rabbits are running madly, birds are pecking on windows and dogs are trying to figure out their placement in the grand scheme of things...
    And because I am simultaneously juggling work matters (cookbooks, writing projects, business) ... farm matters (heat & harvests, tractor maintenance, not to mention physical exhaustion)...nature in all her glory (new goat babies, new bird babies...even new cat babies) have me remiss in replying to those of you who so gracious extended both encouraging words and prayers regarding several critters dramas whose stories are not complete...So for you, a brief update:

     URIEL (aka the red bird)
     Upon naming Uriel (the bird that pecks my windows and follows me throughout the house, appearing at various hours at various windows throughout the day), I began focusing my questions specifically: Who are you? Why are you here? What is your message?  In research too lengthy to convey, I was told in mystical terms that a red bird showing up unannounced is a conveyor of messages, portending changes ahead.  I choose to believe that's a good thing. As a girl who plants by the almanac, I am all about signs. The sign I was told to watch for had a tie to numerology, with 12 seemed the "cardinal"number. (It's a Native American totem; I'm sharing what I was told.)
     So on Day 12 of Uriel's arrival, I was extra watchful to see if something out of the ordinary might occur. (Fortunately, it was a Sunday, so I was in a silent place already.)
     The morning of the 12th I awoke as I had for the 12 prior to, to the sound of sweet Uriel pecking at my bedroom window. Settling in to converse, I began asking questions. The pecks and flutters came in a sort of morse code, messages for which would mean nothing to you, but brought comfort to me...
     But here's where the story will matter.
     After a lengthy exchange in meditative mode, I braced for the day, changing out of sleep clothes and into my day's attire to feed the rest of my flock...As I walked down the stairs, Uriel (with familiar chirps now keenly etched in my ears) moved from side window to front (he normally moves to back, as brekfusses are prepared). I opened my front door, following his chirps, only to find Uriel back at his original perch...The chirping bird before me was Uriel's mate! With one to the front of me, one to the right...it was a double blessing I felt, UNTIL, I heard, next a third voice, then a fourth, then a fifth...
     Turns out Uriel has an entire family! His wife, not nearly as colorful and more camouflaged so as to protect her babies, which are smaller versions of her; same colors; teen-age birds...It was a sight to behold and a symphony to my ears...

Next up: Naming of the Twins
(Drumroll Please)

     The list of names suggested by my FB friends were both colorful and creative...For all the stresses of buzzard attacks, dog attacks, lost baby and the like, I held off on cute twin names until certain both twins survived. But while awaiting that fate, the love, thoughts and comic relief brought more comfort than time will afford me right now. (After all, all you care about is WHAT DID WE NAME THE KIDS?)

   

The "Made Me LOL" prize goes to...

          "Bruce and Caitlin!"

(That said, even I wouldn't do that to my kids, but it WAS very clever, and I DID LOL!)


     The warm and fuzzy "Love it Very Much" prize goes to...

          "Piglet and Pooh!"

     (I resonate strongly with this one, but I think Pooh and Piglet are same sex...I've never been quite sure, but either way, in today's political climate, it posed too much a dilemma in the commentary department, which I had no time to sort out, which brings me to...)

     OUR WINNER (by a landslide in the popular vote, which is how our elections should be held Don't EVEN get me started on why we need to overhaul the electoral college) ...But the babies shall be called.... (drumrolllllllllll)

      JACK and JILL!!

      While a perfect pair of names for the perfect pair of twins, I must concede that Jack and Jill have longer names, for naming of my kids is very personal, their faces, their antics, their little life stories all playing into the process...

     So with that, and on behalf of two of my dearest friends, and two of THE most creative souls on the planet, both writers...one of music, one of books, I give to you:

     JACKson Brown (author of Life's Little Instruction Book and inspiration for my original "I Didn't Know That" creation --not to mention priceless friend) and
 
     JILL Colucci (hit song writer, singer extraordinaire, and inspiration for my first foray into song-writing on top of the rest) ...

     YOU, my friends...Jackson and Colucci ...now have namesakes.

     I trust you will take your honors to heart...and your god parenting skills seriously, for these goats have been a walking storyline from the day they were born. It is important to me that they aspire to such creative genius as yours as they embark on their little goat lives!

     To the rest of you, my precious FB family, my heartfelt thanks for all for the suggestions. I marvel at the endless creativity that inundates my life~

Next up:

What Ever Happened to Hix
and
Feral Cats (I'm Trying Not to Love)

(Stay Tuned)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...