Friday, May 16, 2014

Love Thy Neighbor

            In anticipation of a garden that last year, grew faster than I could pick it, I decided this year to recruit help early. And while interviewing one such helper this week, I was explaining the need to keep doors closed, as one critter (namely Boo) is not allowed outside, when my newest friend shared that she too, loved cats and had four of her own, but then she added that three of them had gone missing.
            “ Oh my gosh!” I blurted. “Do you think the coyotes got them?” (This is why we make sure Boo stays inside at all times.) “Nah” she said. “Most likely neighbors.”
            She might as well have spoken Russian…so foreign was her reply.
As she proceeded to share why she and her neighbors don’t speak to this day, I shook my head in disbelief, silently thinking to myself: “Dear God, may I never ever take for granted the gift of good neighbors."
            Only once in my life have I not known my neighbors. (Actually only one neighbor, on one side of me, back in my Nashville days. She was a grumpy old woman who hated kids and fussed at the ones living on the other side of her when once they cut across her yard to come see my goats. Instead she made them walk on the edge of a busy highway, which was neither safe nor necessary. From that point on we all just kept our distance. But these days, especially here in the country,  neighbors are family…as much a part of my peace of mind as my critters.
            So far this week, I’ve had one neighbor undergo cataract surgery; another who underwent cancer surgery. (If this doesn’t bring out the casserole dishes, nothing will.) Next week another takes his grandkids to Disney, while another one’s child starts summer break (which makes me and my goats very happy).
            Bottom line – there’s family you’re born into, and there are those you get to choose. And then there are those, like good neighbors, that God plops right next to you just to make sure you’re covered on all fronts.

All I can say is I wouldn’t take anything for mine~ (and that includes up, down and both sides of the lane).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...