Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Dreaded Poison Ivy Routine

           
         
     And we know it’s summer….why?
     Well, for me it's because my skin says so.
      In addition to increased needs for sunscreens and the like, my garden loves to show me who's boss by zapping me once or twice a year with a physical breakout.
       Perhaps it’s only fair for all the joy digging in the ground brings me, but sure as Bob’s your uncle, I can count on poison ivy taking its toll no matter how long the shirt sleeves or how good the gloves.
        I’m told there are people not allergic to this stuff. I hope they appreciate this for the gift it is. I envy you. When I was little my best friend would break out in poison ivy whelps literally from the air. I’ll never forget the year it took over a leg. So bad was the break out the doctor put her in a cast to keep it from getting infected. (Can you imagine the itch factor of poison ivy AND your leg in a cast for 3 months? I was afraid we were gonna lose her that summer. I never felt more sorry for a person in my life.)
            As for me, try though I may, I now too, break out annually, and despite all the suggestions, I have, quite frankly, broken every rule. But here are a few lessons learned the hard way, just in case you’re as naïve about this plant as I once was.
            There are ways beyond touching it, to get poison ivy on you. Pets can carry it on their fur, their paws, their bodies. Your garden tools, your gloves, your clothing can carry the sap for up to two years. Indirect contact t is just as bad as direct.
            Once contracted, you pretty much have to wait it out. Time is the only thing I’ve found to really cure poison ivy. Yes, you can put diluted bleach on it. Yes, bleach has a drying out effect, but once the sap gets under your skin, it’s gonna work its magic no matter how much bleach you apply. I’ve found the bleach/water mixture to provide temporary relief.  But give it a few hours and I’ll be itching all over again. (For those who insist you should never put bleach on your skin, even if diluted, white apple vinegar is a good natural alternative.)
            Despite what you think it’s the sap that causes the break out. Not the water from the blisters. The liquid from the blisters is your body’s immune system doing its job, and that part’s not contagious. If you continue to break out, it’s most likely from your clothes. Wash everything immediately. (Some people recommend burning your clothes if the break out is extreme. I’ve never taken it that far, but wouldn’t hesitate if more than 10% of my body was affected.)
            But speaking of burning, NEVER burn the stuff. BAD idea. Tried that once and nearly died. Was mulching up a big ol pile of brush and managed to get some ivy in the mix. Suffice it to say, that mulch was worthless. After that we decided to burn it. I wound up in the ER getting prednisone shots. Poison ivy breathed in can have the same effect on your esophagus as it does on your skin, only the inside of your throat is impossible to itch, and the swelling can literally kill you. Trust me on this one. Don’t burn the stuff!
            Of all the home remedies, I’ve found two to work best: 1) wash the affected area with lye soap. They say don’t wash with hot water, as that expands the capillaries, but when I’m itching, (especially if it hits my back) I can’t help but go for scalding hot water. They say don’t do it. I don't care. Granted, it only brings temporary relief, and probably at the cost of prolonging the break out but when I'm itching I'm not always rational about these things. 2) Oatmeal paste (made from a few drops of water mixed in regular oatmeal. Amazingly, this did seem to move the healing process along.
            Of course there are your basic over the counter suggestions: calamine, hydrocortisone creams and Benadryl. Quite frankly, I’ve found rubbing alcohol to work just about as effectively as any of these and for a fraction of the cost.


            Best advice: know what the stuff looks like and avoid it at all costs. When it comes to battling poison ivy, oak or sumac, trust me, the plant’s gonna win. "Leaves of three...Leave it be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...