Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lockin' Up the Girls

(Yeah. Yeah. Go ahead and make your jokes….But to be clear …)

No…I’m not the mother of teenage girls.
No… I’m not at a bachelorette party.
No… I am not referring to my own anatomy (Not even digressing…Not even going there…)

            "Lockin' up my girls" is the last thought I’m having as I come in after my final check o' my goats on this fine (full moon) evening…Ya see, one of my girls (Gabrielle, Gabs, Gabby-girl, to be specific) Gabs is with child…Dear Lord, seems only  yesterday that Vixie gave me Gabby (second goat baby ever to be birthed here on the farm...)

So I’ve said my goodnights.
Getting ready for bed.
Temps are mild…a bit of rain today, but no one will freeze to death when Gabs goes into labor, (i.e. breaking water will not be met with 0 degree temperatures this night…so all is well in the grand scheme of things…)

To be clear, I have not had such concerns since January’s arctic blast, and Rosey choosing to birth her pups under the porch (despite my white trash efforts to create a birthing room out of a refrigerator box propped under my dining room table). But when I saw sweet Gabby doing that ever so familiar circle dance in the corner of her stall tonight, trying to get her wide-load body comfy, hoping to be left alone if/when nature takes over, well, I'm just about to say "Awww" when what do I spy, but goofy, lopping, Hiccapup chewing on his rawhide, with Rosebud, his sister, jumping on his head, sending them both into a rough and tumbling, free-for-all in animated puppy play, worthy of a Disney film crew. As Rosebud attempts to snatch the chew toy from Hicca’s jaws… Well, it’s in that very instant that my “all-too-new-at-this/goat-mothering/maternal-thing” takes over…

It may not be sub freezing….

The puppies mean no harm…

But one can never be too careful.

In a split second it occurs to me that while Pyrenees pups are bred to protect, these puppies have never experienced a brand new baby goat being born (a goat baby that, BTW, comes out looking like a wind-up extra in a Toy Story audition, walking and talking at all of 3 minutes after birth)

So to play it safe (Did I mention tonight’s a full moon?), I decide this mama’s deserving of a maternal goat suite all her own…

With extra chow and red solo water bucket now by her head, it’s room service, goat style for my girl~Gabs...

Those sweet puppy babies (now-turning teenage pups), will have to move it outside …Ok guys, your guard duties just shifted to the other side of the goat-door.

Tonight, Gabs is checking in to the Garth Brooks /Baptist Hospital / VIP birthing suite for goats….Only thing missing is the mint on her pillow...And I’d have added that, but lest her latch got accidentally lifted, well, puppies can’t have chocolate...


Everybody say a prayer…My Gabby is with child. Our manger scene is set….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...