Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Bit More Mindfulness

     Ever noticed when you've been made aware of something new, how that something seems to turn up everywhere? (Like buying a blue car thinking the color is rare, only to spot that same color everywhere you turn.)
     No doubt our minds have "selective retention" ...It's the stuff ear-worms are made of (you know...those tunes you can't get out of your head) ...But I dare say it is also the stuff of synchronicity.
     Recently I was introduced to the concept of "Permaculture" ...A notion of working with nature as we plan our landscapes, our gardens, our eco-systems, not forcing moves against it. By more gently working with her, not against, Mother Nature becomes our ally; we are able to accomplish more with less, by observing first, acting second. (Or as it was explained to me when I immediately wanted to know "What can I start planting to stop my soil erosion?" I was told the goal is 10 hours of observing to every one hour of muscle. (A concept I like more and more as I age...Sounds like wisdom to me.)
     To that end, I was moved (not only by the fact that this clip opens with a wolf that looks very much like my beloved Pyrs, and my Siberian husky, Darby from years past) by recent happenings out in Yellowstone. Thanks to one simple act of re-introducing wolves to their eco-structure, the total environment has changed and in relatively short order.  Rather than elaborate or commentate, I'll let the footage speak for itself. (There is a full length documentary on YouTube for those who care to know more.)  Until then, just ponder the possibilities...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...