Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Not So Fun Days

     Never underestimate the kindness of a Southern woman, for while we much prefer honey to vinegar, there are some days where honey just doesn't cut it. I have found this to be particularly true in construction when some more chauvinistic, excuse-laden types confuse kindness for stupidity. (I know this is not always the case; there are honorable types out there, I've met them and thought I had selected one.) But sadly, this is not the case.
     Not everyday is a holiday when it comes to construction; you know this going in. There will be stress. There will be conflict. There will be schedule changes. There's weather to factor and crews that don't show. But when these things are no longer the exception, but the rule, one has to step back and reassess.
     For the record (and let's pray I don't need this recorded, but in case I do), my sweet little barn was to have been completed by end of September. When the work started two weeks late, I was forgiving. My (so called) contractor had another project to complete. His crews were stretched thin. The weather was still cooperating and I was promised it could be completed in 30 days, so I rolled.
     They came; they broke ground, stuck a few poles in some holes. And then his crew quit. He says he fired them. They say they didn't get paid. (And you're telling me this, WHY?) I had a signed contract, a deposit down, and a wide open field with some poles to show for it.
     The next team (of one) was next on the scene and apparently good at his trade. I was fine with this choice. Just get this job going. But eventually even I knew it'd take more than one, after all rafters are a bit hefty to hoist. I was there for the raising. I was also there when my rafters blew to the ground and shattered into smithereens. (Thank God it happened with no goat babies inside!) In short, my faith is shot in a guy who boldly declares love of Christ and all things Christian every chance he gets.
     But now we're back up; slight progress made, though barn wood is lacking. (How this could be is impossible, since I, myself, found and negotiated 4 barns from which to pull our antique lumber, and even paid him and his sons separately before the building contract was signed.)
     Rich in excuses; bankrupt in results, meanwhile, I'm left holding the bag and reassessing my options all together.
     As of today, this "love those crews/ sweet tea providing boss" is no more. Not so fun Karlen has emerged, why? Because sadly, for some guys, this is the only language they hear. My kindness and cooperation was repaid by him taking a larger job that put mine on hold..Meaning days like today when the weather is beautiful, some richer "guy" client has my crews, and I am left to waiting it out (or so he thinks).
     The scripture says "Hell has no wrath like a woman scorned" but I contend "Hell has no wrath like a woman getting screwed over on a construction job."
     Stay tuned.
   
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...