Saturday, November 29, 2014

Water Concerns (Part 2)

            One of the good things about the Internet (and Facebook in particular) is its ability to draw folks together when a call to action is in order. One such scenario now taking place is the growing number of pics and posts by concerned customers of Laguardo Utility District as we note something seriously disconcerting coming from our water pipes.
            While a nuisance for holiday settings and costlier yet for ruined dishwashers and Keurig brewers everywhere, I fear these are the least of our problems.
            At the risk of speaking out of turn (for if ever calm heads need prevail, now is that time) it seems a thorough investigation (along with more testing, more discussion, more answers) is in order, after all there is a huge difference between taking note and taking action. To get to real answers,  a structured and orderly plan is needed and needed now. (So far I've seen lots of pictures, but no suggestions.)
            Personally I've been concerned about our water for awhile now, though my initial concerns did not start with cloudy glasses, but instead with my neighbors--specifically, my neighbors with cancer. Of all the people I know on my road (I know or knew 12), more than half have battled, are battling or have succumbed to the disease. My uncle died of bladder cancer. His wife, of blood cancer, (leukemia.) Another battles prostate cancer (with weakened kidneys noted as contributing to the complications). His wife deals in perpetual bladder infections and his mother was recently hospitalized for a severe kidney infection. Three other neighbors have had skin cancer; one has died. Another neighbor, likewise won the prostate cancer battle. I, myself, have gall stones.
            Am I saying our water caused this? No. I am saying it seemed a high statistic for one street and it is what piqued my curiousity both personally and as a journalist. I am also saying that the most recent test results I’ve been able to find on our water quality are not good as it pertains to contaminants (See link below.) That things appear to have gone from bad to worse since Laguardo switched us from lake to ground water is something I also want answers for. (i.e. How bad was the city's lake water that left this our best alternative?)
            One of the many benefits of participating in our county’s Master Gardening program are the people you meet and the resources you come across. Having read a recent blog of mine on the subject, one of my fellow classmates wrote to me two days ago to offer insight. (Note: She does not work for Laguardo, but is trained in these matters) She shared:
You are correct in the assumption that the water quality did change when the utility company switched from lake sourced water to a well.  Your water went from soft to hard.  
 In our area, ground water can be high in total dissolved solids (iron, manganese and magnesium).  Most conventional soaps and detergents don't do well with hard water.  As a result of that, you see films and water spots on just about everything.  Try switching to products made for use in hard water.
Utility companies are required by law to send their customers a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR).  It is usually is in a water bill.  One of the parameters listed is total dissolved solids.  It may be interesting to compare the before and after numbers. 
            Given I pay my bills automatically, I have not seen this report, though I am looking into it. As a matter of animal husbandry, I will be independently testing my water to compare it to what I will soon be switching to, having just dug a well. 
           Though not an alarmist, this is serious stuff in anybody’s book.
            I have neither the time nor the interest for spearheading some crusade, rather, it is my goal as a girl who writes about her experiences in farming and sustainability to share personal observations, including any steps I might take out of concern for myself, my animals and the people I love. That it falls within the purview of what I blog about, the topic is fair game, and my concerns, sincere and valid. That said, I am not an investigative reporter; I am not an attorney; nor am I a scientist, though I am hopeful that people in these professions along with the necessary others will join forces (and soon) to create a proper panel to investigate this matter as I suspect the problem may be bigger than a few dirty dishes (and I'm not crazy about the dirty dishes).

http://www.water-delivery.org/WaterQuality/Lebanon/Wilson_County/Tennessee/Laguardo_Utility_District

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...