Monday, November 3, 2014

Perspective

     The winter season has begun making this the 29th season for Room in the Inn, the homeless shelter program hosted by 180 plus area congregations.  The day leaves me exhausted and renewed all at the same time as I am invariably moved by the kind hearts and spirits that restore my faith in humanity.
     Today was a prime example of why I do it...(Here's a little hint: it's not for them). In a word: perspective. May sound selfish; probably is...but it's true. I do it for perspective.
     My own day was riddled with stress, conflict, challenges, project delays and disappointments of all shapes and sizes, but no matter how tempted I was to whine (ok. I whined a little) nothing snaps me out of it quicker than to hear words like "Thank you" or "Have a blessed night!" from someone just grateful for a meal. Gets me every time. These guys (and gals) are my heroes.
     Picking up like it was yesterday, I met up with my volunteer family and an even larger "extended family" of guests who tonight are being served, sheltered and well fed thanks to the kindness of strangers.  Here's praying for a peaceful season and a mild winter.
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...