Monday, November 10, 2014

Energy Bank Account

     I wake up each day asking, "How will I spend this day?" and by "spend" I mean just that.
     Each morning before feet hit the floor, lists get tackled and action gets underway, I contemplate the expenditure of what magically, mystically got deposited overnight in the bank account of my life. I ask myself,  "Where, Evins, will you spend your allotment of energy today?
     It's not a financial account, mind you...but an energy fund -- funded by the Universe through the miracle of sleep, exchange for which is mine alone to direct toward those areas I choose (wisely or foolishly, for better or worse).
      Funding of this account is completely unearned. It's a gift...an inheritance of sorts... deposited in the silence of sleep in account bearing my name (otherwise known as my life).
     I can exchange this currency responsibly--give it over to my work, my writing, my creations...
     I can exchange it for relationships--for those I care about,  the people and causes I feel called to help, or those I just enjoy being with.
     I can even exchange them for my own selfish pleasure if I so choose... A mindless TV show here, a book I've been longing to curl up with...there. It's easy to waste these units if you're not careful. We're an ADD culture that loses piles of this currency to distractions like Facebook or On Demand or computer games.
     No matter what I choose, this is one exchange unit I can never get back. Once it's spent, it's spent. Yes, Lord willing, if I wake again tomorrow, there'll likely be something in the account. (Some days more; some days less...Lots has to do with how I spent yesterday's units, and the day before that, and the day before that.)
      Call it God, credit angels, call it life, but that's how I view sleep and how I approach each day and this gift called "energy" which I'm sad to say, I have, in my past, too often taken for granted.
      I fall asleep literally "spent" and wake up account renewed~ For the life of me I do not know how it happens, nor did I in any way earn the life force that made its way back in.  All I know is to be gifted with another day means the least I can do is mindfully consider those things I choose to spend my energy on. I open my eyes asking "How best can I spend it today?" or "Can I do better today than yesterday?"
     Good or bad, my stewardship of this account is mine to manage and the older I get the more I conscientious I've become of just where I'll place my energy and how I'll invest my time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...