Sunday, April 12, 2015

It's a Sign!

   
     The story of how I came to gardening is as real as rain and as precious a story as I could ever craft, and yet it has the additional virtue of being true. I recall it vividly each year as I bring out my trusty hoe (named Ida) and my little green wagon, as it's forever etched fondly in both heart and mind.
     With two cookbooks under my belt, I had decided it was time to take it back a notch and learn what to do with fresh veggies coming straight from the garden. Here in the country it is not uncommon to come home to a watermelon or a bushel of beans left on your front porch from kind farm neighbors. It was one such event that prompted me to ask, "What happens when it doesn't come measured and pre-cooked in a can first?" (as the preponderance of my original recipes called for).
     No sooner had I told a neighbor friend "This year I'd like to try gardening" did I come home a day later to find an acre of my front lot "turned" (first stage of ground prep when your starting from scratch, as I was about to learn from my soon to be mentor and best bud, Thurman).
     Not only would Thurman teach me the difference between turning and tilling it, he would go on to teach me the difference in hoeing and sowing, ridges and rows and a myriad of other helpful tips that, quite honestly, I wouldn't have even known how to google. But the most important thing Thurman taught (and is still teaching me) is how to read an almanac, and more importantly a planting calendar.
     Now the interesting thing about planting calendars is, depending on where you get yours, they can vary about a day or two on either side. (Note: Here in Lebanon, you can get your calendar from the Co-op, Edwards Feed Supply or Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home. I think the Farm Bureau has a version as well, but don't hold me to that.) I had to laugh the other night when I called to cross check a sign for planting "below ground" crops, when Miss Duff's calendar called for one day and Thurman's the following and my farm hand yet another entirely different, so we took an average, and counted backwards from the full moon.
     Bottom line, I find that following the pattern of the moon DOES make a difference (as most every serious old time farmer I've ever spoken to will attest). I'm guessing that industrial farmers (those who supply grocers and food chains) can't sit around and wait for a sign to be just right, but here on the bend, we do, and not only for planting and harvesting, but some are even known to schedule their doctor's appointments and surgeries. And for sure you plan things like banding or (heaven help) slaughtering for meat by the signs.
     That said, it was with great anticipation that I finally began the first round of lavender rows (second rounds to be completed today and tomorrow as signs are in the feet, which is good, as transplanting and roots are a feet-sign proposition). Anything to assist the growing process (planting guides, moon signs, goat poop) you name it, I'm for it...after all, farming is about as serious and honorable profession as I've ever run across and if someone's been doing it this way for generations, I'd be wise to listen and take notes, which I am...which is soon to become my third cookbook...(Little sneak preview there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...