Saturday, April 4, 2015

Spontaneity. It's a Good Thing

   
     As for birthdays, plans and gatherings, this one takes the cake...(Actually, it was nice of my friends to think of a cake...I had not planned for that either...)  Having traveled for the first time in years and somewhat out of my own circadian rhythm, thoughts of birthday gatherings and celebrations were way on the back burner as my celebratory day drew nigh.
     For the record, I'm normally I'm a nut about birthdays...Love the concept...Love seeing friends...Heck, I don't even mind the crow's feet...But I was honest to goodness, so unsure as to where my energy would land me by day of, that the best I could offer was, "Can I get back to you?" Followed by, "how flex can you be?" (Turns out...My friends are way flex; then again, that's probably why they're my friends.)
     So in that same flex spirit, I woke up birthday morn, flexed my little toe muscles before putting feet to floor, then waited to see what my body was about to tell me...
     For reasons I attribute to good angels and good mattresses, the still, small voice said,  "Dangit Evins. It's your birthday. And Easter weekend to boot. You've got friends you haven't seen in eons wondering why you live in a hole... you've got hit song-writing buddies game for bringing guitars...You've even got a new baby goat to show off...Why, it would be downright selfish to spend this weekend alone. I'm sure your friends won't mind that you've waited till day of to get back to them ~)
     In a nutshell, it was a laid back kinda weekend, which the older I get, is the kind I appreciate more and more. A small, but eclectic gathering of writer friends and musicians, church buddies and the like hugging on dogs and passing around goats...More "drop by if you're around" than anything structured. (You'd never know I once was a producer, that's how non-produced the entire weekend was)...Some friends came for cake...Others stayed the night. (When you live on a farm and folks have to drive 45 minutes to get to you, you learn to keep the sleeping bags handy, but it was kinda fun to be reminded that even when you're past your 20s, talking the night away with your gal pals can be just as healing.)
     The next morning we streamed in our favorite church's services to hear our buddies sing and by afternoon, I was four wheeling and laying out lavender rows...
     So here's to you John Denver...Life on the farm is kinda laid back. Personally, I think that should count double when it's your birthday.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...