Saturday, May 2, 2015

End of an Era

      I woke up from a deep, deep sleep...out of a dream I did not want to leave, as I was talking with my dad...

     Ever there to comfort, he was hugging me...advising me. I clung to his every word.

     "This one's gonna hurt," he warned..."But remember... YOU ARE NOT ALONE."

      With this in my head and strong feelings in my heart...I entered my day.

     For the last two weeks, the road's been abuzz ...Brazen auction signs left and right...construction crews,  gravel trucks...all sorts of loud noises disrupting the flow of nature and simple country life, not just for me, but for critters ...especially my critters. (Lord, does TJ hate big trucks...)

 
    The last of a legacy...

     My uncle's property recently purchased from his estate, was now being reworked.... reconfigured... subdivided. . .  ("flipped" as they'd say in the business) . . .

     All to be sold  --  in "Absolute Auction"


     That the land had 5 houses (and he, 5 children) ... spoke (to me at least) of wishes and dreams unfulfilled...

     But life and legacies don't always go as you plan. (Another reminder-- that young or old,  rich or poor, we humans are not in control, so let us not kid ourselves.)

     Once again, those all too familiar themes resurface: Release and Detach. These themes that will help you most in life...Sooner learned, the better.

     (Though the theme is the same, I gotta give God credit, for delivering the message in all shapes and sizes...Who knew life lessons would come in small, medium and large. Some days even 'extra large'.)

      I watched young couples, alongside old farmers standing next to cunning investors all equally excited to overlay their own dreams and visions for this once sacred retreat...Can't say as I blame them. To the contrary, I wish them only happiness.

     Came home...Changed clothes...And as is my solace in times like these, I took it to the garden.
Only this time my angels weren't invisible...First two, then three...then five neighborhood kids...came strolling over to play with my own...to see what I was up to...what the dogs were doing... Some came ready to squirt each other with water from the well hose...everyone was open and willing to help... (But each was no doubt clueless as to how their life-affirming energies were helping heal my own.)

     Dogs wagging....Goats jumping...Kids laughing...
             I find great comfort in these things.

     Just another reason why "farm living is the life for me"

     In the end, I'm reminded once again, nothing ever dies...Life takes on new shapes and forms...as it reinvents itself for yet another run at another season...But to be clear, LIFE is forever in our presence. Trick is to be open...ever watching, ever listening...(Maybe that's what he meant by "He who has ears...")

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...