Saturday, May 23, 2015

Circle of Life (Round Two)

     So I'm two for two on the screams this week...
     For those keeping score, it's Snakes- 0, Mice- 5.
   
     In an effort to declutter and better organize my garden tools I asked Pat to fetch a few bins from the storage shed, so that I might anticipate a yard sale. (If you're having one, let me know.)
     Meanwhile, in case you were not aware, mice love stand alone sheds (as do spiders, and yes, snakes), which has prompted me to create the ritual of clanging doors and announcing myself loudly before entering such spaces so as to allow everyone proper time to scurry to their corners.
     The alternative is to ask Pat to fetch things, which he did leaving three perfect bins right inside the garage. Lifting lid #1 I spot that all too familiar wad of chewed up fluffy stuff, otherwise known as a mouse nest. While not desirable, it is not unfamiliar in sheds and attics though your hope is there's nothing in them. (Let the record reflect, even when anticipating something might pop out, I was not prepared for what was to come next.)
     Propping box on side I reach for the wad when a blob springs forth (and I do mean a blob of mice), which I first thought were mating, but soon recognized as a mother with 4 nursing babies. Screaming to high heaven with mice flailing everywhere, I holler for the second time this week for Pat to "Come help! Come help!"
   
     I don't know who was more startled...the little dude left all alone, standing in the middle of a cold concrete floor, mouth still in sucking mode, or me, feeling horrible for having orphaned a mouse.
     "Awwww, can we keep him?" (for 2 seconds I seriously considered grabbing the aquarium). Instead, we (meaning Pat) picked him up and placed him gently in the area where last we saw the mother load run, only to hear yet a 4th still stuck in the bin, who we placed next to his brother...
     I went to bed thinking at least two have each other...Don't know if they're weaned. Pretty sure they'll be back, but I can only take on so much karma. For a girl who loves animals, I've sure been tough on them this week...and before you say it, I KNOW this is why we have black snakes. I also know karma's a bear (or in my case, a snake, or a mouse, or a ...)
   
     By morning I reach for St. Francis, known for taming a wolf that had terrified the village of Gubbio killing people and sheep alike. When asked for his help, Francis went in peace to the wolf, seeking a way in which all might live in peace side by side.
     By removing the fear in both wolf and people Francis negotiated a peace agreement whereby the the wolf be fed going door to door to locals in exchange for his protection of their city.
     It's a worthy goal and one I contemplate, after all I once ran from bees, and now I thank them each time our paths cross~
     On the other hand, I've never thanked a spider and when it comes to brown recluse, don't hold your breath.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...