Monday, May 11, 2015

What Doesn't Kill Us Makes Us Stronger (The Layla Update)

   
   

    Yet another one I didn't think all the way through... (Oh the lessons we learn as we go...)
     Today was the day... I've intentionally kept Layla's updates to a minimum since her surgery, primarily because I wanted to make sure she pulled through... which she did, (the surgery part) though let the record reflect, our journey's far from over.
     May I begin this post with profuse thanks to those of you who reached out to help. (Sadly, I don't know specifically who everyone was, so forgive me if you've yet to hear from me personally...They're backtracking the payments, but some did not come with names attached.)
     That said, having allowed three weeks for her to be in their ever-loving' watch and care, she is now back where she'll be fostered till her next procedure when they remove the rod holding her leg in place throughout the (hopeful) healing process.
     Never was I more happy to see a puppy's sweet face...Never did a pup look happier to be back in familiar surroundings...
     But for all the joy that came with seeing Layla (who wags her tail incessantly, which is bound to be painful) what I was NOT prepared for was the rod itself...(Guess I thought it would be covered...or in a cast...Turns out, it is neither, thus it was a wave of bliss followed by an immediate wave of nausea to see this poor baby's shaven leg with a honking' metal rod sticking out at both ends. I know the surgeons know their stuff; I simply did not think through the details of faking my reaction, nor did I grasp the complete mental picture of the maintenance involved in keeping said wound clean, which I am learning to do, after all, SHE's the one with the tough job...(I'll learn to clean it; you focus on healing it, Layla.)
      What's more, I was not emotionally prepared the first time she whimpered from inside her crate where she must stay for several more weeks, save for the handful of times we go out each day for brief walks, pees and poos. (It did not help that I watched that stupid Lifetime Original about those girls who were held captive for 11 years over the weekend; I swear keeping Layla in a crate is tougher than the rod and the wound-cleaning for me, but I've vowed to do it, so I'm doing it.)
     After all, if Layla can do this...I can do this. In her determination, I find my strength...There's a lot of love in those little brown eyes. Her gratitude is palpable.
     If you've ever wondered if you have the mettle in times like these, try sitting idly by while one of God's innocent creatures suffers ... It's clear to me from the reactions to all this, you'd be doing the same. (And God bless those of you who rescue and foster pups on a daily basis.)
   
     In the meanwhile, Layla welcomes your prayers now more than ever, ( as do I...) We've got a ways to go and a few more bills to pay, but the journey has begun...we're well into the race and we're in it to win it.
     My heartfelt thanks to all of you who've reached out. Will do my best to keep you posted as we adjust to our new routines...As for Layla, I'm happy to report, she's on the mend!
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...