Friday, May 22, 2015

It Only Hurts When I Move

   
      We could not have asked for a more perfect day...The weather was unseasonably crisp. Signs were in the breasts, which is the most nurturing planting sign of all.  These are things I now live by. If Miss Duff and Mr. Thurman are planting, rest assured I'll be out in my own...and we were...from sun up till sun down.
    This year marks my fourth go round at gardening. Having wound up in the ER for the past 3 Augusts (about the time I stress out for not being able to pick it all or freeze it quick enough or or block a few days to can it) I'm going with a different model this year...
     Instead of planting my entire 1-acre plot (yes, I know I could've started with something smaller, but the planting and tilling parts I love...It's the "watching it rot on the vine" that wigs me out), I decided this year to break my garden into 4 segments. Several benefits to this one...For one, I get to divide things up...
     --Give watermelon a garden of their own since they vine all over everything...
     --Give corn its own space right where the dogs can keep watch at night and bark at deer who come our way
     --Plant in cycles so it's not all coming in at once. (This one's worth the price of the ticket alone~ What a concept!)
     The good news is, the seeds are planted, the lavender tilled, the garden is laid out and ready to go...
     The bad news is, I could barely move by the time I settled in for the night, and am walking kinda funny today. I texted my right hand man, Pat this morning to see if he was ready to quit only to have him call me a rookie and tell me he thought yesterday was a blast~
     I do have to say, I've been blessed with some great careers in my life, but none is more rewarding than farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...