Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Comfort Zone is Not Our Friend

It’s an odd dichotomy being a spiritual being in a physical body…
On the one hand, the animal in us craves certain basics, common to all. We require food, shelter… familiar things that both sustain and comfort. (We even call them creature comforts.) As humans we equate familiar with security. At the end of the day I want to come home to find my place the way I left it. I want my critters safe and secure; my stuff where last I left it. Even anticipated end of day routines bring comfort…things like unwinding with the book I was last reading or hugging my babies all over again as I say goodnight to another day.
The soul of us, on the other hand, lives for change. To feel alive, to experience life, the soul requires a bevy of differentiating activities for stimulation. Unlike the comfort that familiarity brings the body, the soul bores of routine. It abhors the  mundane. You go on a vacation to remove yourself from the familiar. Learning something new means you broke the boundaries of the old. Any spiritual awakenings or “aha” moments in life, come in stark contrast to the routines we may’ve found ourselves living. In short, the soul is wired to aspire …to live bigger…grow larger…to reach out and become something beyond ourselves.
And between these dueling polarities lies the rub.
Growth, by definition, means change. And change, by definition, means something different than it is right now, which means, it’s not gonna be comfortable. After all, if I stay precisely where am I, as I am, nothing changes. And while the creature side of me takes great comfort in that familiar little notion, the spiritual side begs for (and even attracts) the exact opposite. So in order to assess which way we’re going in this thing called life, we have to assess which part of us holds greater sway? The human side-- common to all…or the spiritual/soulful part by which we individually identify and differentiate ourselves from others?
Seems the older we get, the more resistant we are to change…after all, change involves the unknown, and the unknown is unfamiliar, and unfamiliar, by definition is not comfortable. It’s foreign, and without a map, foreign turf can be frightening. Yet when something is known (i.e. familiar to us) it’s not change. It’s quo. As in “status quo” (fyi, “status quo” short for “status quo ante” from the Latin, translates: “the state in which before” or “the state of affairs existing previously”)…In short, it’s no place for growth, though it may bring temporary comfort (at least until you get bored).
All of this to make the point that uncertainty is a good thing, and while it may not feel so comfy at the time, I like to remind myself in such times, that the good news is, there’s growth happening there (and in that notion alone, I can usually find some glimmer of comfort). It may be uncomfortable to be uncertain, but hey-- it’s not stagnation. To crave the familiar, is to request an end to life’s growth moments, and as my garden has taught me, if it ain’t growing, it’s dying. There are only two options. Nothing in life stays the same. (There’s no such place as “quo”.)
As I think about life and change and the unfamiliar feelings of the unknown and how to embrace them, I’m reminded of the lines credited to theologian William Shedd:

              A ship in the harbour is safe…

                  But this is not what ships are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...