Saturday, June 21, 2014

My Meaningful Garden

           

          In honor of throw-back Thursdays (or Sentimental Saturdays) I’m reminded of what led to me writing in the first place—a little segment from a local radio show that became a book, then a newspaper column called “I Didn’t Know That” ~
          Tracing words and phrases back to their origins I am reminded that my love of gardens goes back a ways, to a day when I only knew what the word meant (as opposed to how much joy it would bring me in the living)… From “I Didn’t Know That: Why We Say the Things We Say” I share:
            Deriving its name from the Old French word, "jardin", the first gardens were created by medieval monks. These plots were set aside for food and flowers, in tribute to the garden of all gardens: The Garden of Eden.
            Providing both food and serenity for the active, yet meditative disciplines of monastic life, gardens soon became a staple of every abbey and monastery throughout Europe.

            As walls and fences were erected to protect these sacred plots, these “guarded” lands soon became known as “gardens” …a word that still today represents a piece of earth set aside for life and all things growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...