Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Going to the Dogs

   
     It's official.
     Between aging Minka and tail-torn TJ my vet and pet med bills are running higher than my propane at this stage. Bit if ever there were an incentive to keep a girl working, my babies' health would be it...
     Money can't buy happiness, but if it helps alleviate pain in what does make you happy, well, I'd say that's a fair exchange...
The TJ prognosis is one very bad hot spot...(We actually can't get close enough to determine if there was a snake bite involved, but the vet thinks not, which is a big relief.) Still and so, getting relief to Teej has been the challenge of all challenges, and we're not out of the woods yet.
     We did manage to get a couple of shots in him...some antibiotics and some itch relief meds, which so far, don't appear to be putting a dent in it. Meanwhile, bless his heart, you can see in his eyes that he SO wants them to work. You've not lived till you've seen a 150 pound critter whose been curled up under the porch, gnawing at his tail for days, come stoically out to greet a man toting shot needles, so desperate is he for anything to help. Nor has your heart melted till you see the same giant-headed creature slowly roll over, belly up, when he sees you coming with the grooming brush (and let's you brush every inch of him BUT his tail --because he so loves that daily brushing proposition).
     Talk about trust.
     It's been painful for all of us (most of all Teej), but to see him eat again brings me relief. And as much as Thurman would not approve, I'm looking into air conditioned dog houses, as I don't think the dusty underside of a porch is helping matters when it comes to hot spots on dog tails. (Why can't someone make a solar doghouse, I ask you? If my little garden lights can crank out light all night from having absorbed sun all day, why hasn't someone put a slightly larger panel on a dog roof to charge a battery to cool things down?)
     Perhaps someone has. If so, let me know, cause I'd love to find one. Until then, I guess my electric bill will just have to run high cause when it comes to innocent creatures enduring pain, relief is my number one priority.

1 comment:

  1. Karlen you are so awesome! I love your story and all that you are doing for your pets, goats and your farm! I so admire you! Would love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...