Monday, June 2, 2014

The Drilling Drill (Things One Must Do to Prep for Well-Digging)

     As we ramp up to dig a well, the list of conditions grows...(Stay tuned. This could be helpful stuff...)
            So when I decided I wanted to dig a well, I got 2 kinds of responses.
            City people asked “Why?” When water is relatively cheap in our country and it seems an awful lot of trouble and expense for the sake of a back up.
            Country people started offering advice, as it to say “What took you so long?” not one of them suggesting I not do it. For farmers and gardeners, wells are as common as fence posts.
            Reasons for digging wells are varied, but in the end, I have made it my mission, that for everything I am relying on now, thanks to the grid, I want to at least know the alternative approach, even if I don’t opt for it. When it comes to well water, I’m opting.
            In addition to well water tasting better(provided it’s not sulfur), and being better for you (which sulfur is known to be) animals and gardens do better on well water. What’s more, in times of drought, turning to the city supply can get costly (assuming you’ve not been rationed, which happens). In short the well decision was made shortly after my first garden. Now the kids and I can’t wait to get to digging.
            Regarding said digging,  it starts tomorrow, weather permitting. (Note: the device for digging said well weighs upwards of 6 tons, so one rain can land me a hefty piece of equipment stuck in my front yard. For this reason we’ve all been watching the weather forecasts very closely, and may I just say, we’ve postponed twice thanks to 5 day forecasts that were (and I mean this literally) “Wrong as rain.” I swear I’m going to have to learn to read a weather map all over again. Even when they are showing their big Doppler screen with a big ol green blob over my very street with no rain out my window, I gotta ask, “Was this a guestimate or is your scanning device over there in need of a re-boot?”  Long story short, the accountability factor on 5-day (heck, 2-day) forecasts has been sorely lacking. If I had more time I’d do it myself.   But I don’t. So I won’t. But no one goes back and says “We rescheduled twice because you called for it. But even at 80% it never came.” (Remember Derby Day?)
            But enough about that. There’s plenty to keep me busy without taking to task my local weather people.  To give you an idea of what goes into the process, here’s my tick list of things to get done before bringing out the drilling devices. Some are optional. Most are mandatory.

            1. (Optional, but from where I stand, this one should be mandatory) …Call your local ag office and ask if there’s a program for this...

(FYI, there is. But even if you don't qualify, there's still plenty to learn...Stay tuned for episode #2 of ...several...Diggin a well is no small task.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...