Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Day for Remembering

     
     Today is Teddy's birthday.
      My cohost, business partner, mentor and friend of 2 decades died just before Christmas. Now, along with my father, my uncles, my Mema, my Granny, my Papaw, I have a new candle on my alter, and just the right picture of him with my dog Darby (also on the alter) in happier days. "Happy Birthday wherever you are" I text the shot to Facebook.
      To double check, I open my laptop; the first three images are also memorials. People who've lost pets share their grief.
      I scroll a little further...and my eyes lock in on a tombstone...Beneath it a tribute from a mother still grieving the loss of a child who died 36 years ago.
     I know this woman; I knew her son. I don't know how anyone gets past losing a child, but Patsy's story has touched a lot of people.
     She hails from a town I adore. Population about 700, Alexandria is the epitome of that small country town where everybody knows your name. My dad ran a country bank (in a day when a good name and a firm handshake were all you needed). One of Daddy's passions was coaching his Babe Ruth team: the Loan Arrangers. Mike was his batboy until he was big enough to play himself. He adored "Mr. Eddie" and Daddy adored him.
     It was a Norman Rockwell kinda day...picture-perfect snow, kids, even parents, sledding down Academy (a hill tailor made for days like these) Laughter physically filled the air. Neighbors watched out their windows as they made hot cocoa for whomever might show up in need of a bathroom break or a warm up...It was small town living at its best. Everyone was happy. Everything about this day was perfect ...except for the way it ended.
     The Facebook post hit a nerve. I begin to tear up.
     My thoughts go back to Teddy...our years together...all the shows we produced... the questions we had...
     I thought about my dad...my uncle...all my family on the other side that now outweighs the family I have on this one...
     My phone chimes...A text from a friend, likewise grieving, who lost her husband 2 months ago. Friends and family are there for her as she works through the pain. She was coming to hug goats, but took a tumble that rearranged her day. Just letting me know she was ok, but even through a text, I can feel it. She now adds physical to the emotional pain she was already carrying.
     Some days hit you harder than others. Perhaps there is some reunion going on over there (or are they here?) Some vibe in the air. It affects my whole day...Not in a morbid way, but in a meaningful one.
     Last post I read before heading out to hug goats is from another friend...One I haven't seen since grade school, but one I get to see now thanks to modern technology. She, too, lost her father just a couple of weeks ago. She too is remembering...She too is having this day. She ends her loving tribute with these words...

"Spend time with your family people! Put down the iPads, Smart Phones, Laptops, etc. One day you will regret spending time on things that don't really matter. Our lives are shorter than you think."

     I couldn't have said it better myself. 
    (Thank you Jenniffer...I needed to hear that today.)
   
   
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...