Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Creating Vicariously

     Outside my window I hear hammering...I hear a goat baby cry for its mama (and a faint reply cry in the distance). I hear all 4 dogs bark as a gravel truck passes down the road.
     I hear my garage door go up and my lawnmower start, and in short order I catch a glimpse of someone pulling a wagon full of wood to the barn (because I haven't had time to shop for a mule or a used ATV).
      As for me, I am stuck inside, forced behind a desk to get some overdue paperwork completed. Nothing gets created till the numbers add up and, well, we all know how I feel about numbers. (Can't live without 'em/forced to deal with them.) Still and so, out of kindness to my CPA I sort through the box of receipts and stapled together credit card statements. By dark it will make sense to me at least; by tomorrow I'll pour over it with her.
    But let us be perfectly clear...Much as I love the cat who has positioned himself strategically in the middle of all this, I WANT to be outside. Every fiber of my being longs to be outside working on the projects with the guys and stopping to hug on critters. When they stop for lunch, I suit up...go hug the critters...get jumped by baby goats... surround myself in a sea of huge white dogs who circle around, no doubt sensing mommy's having a stressful day.  Ten minutes of of this much needed "fix" and I return to my forced confinement of all paperwork, all day long. I've procrastinated long enough.

       By end of day I look as if I've slept on my head. I step outside to say goodbye to the workers and am pleasantly surprised to discover they have finished one of several projects we had budgeted for spring: this one being my first ever "raised bed planter boxes" in which I intend to start my first ever herb garden this year.
     While I did not get to help in the creativity of the build itself, it was my idea to start them...I knew just where to place them and how they should look...I had sketched it all out on notebook paper 3 days before and am pleased with how much better they look than my stick drawing. A lovely addition to my goat fencing, plus conveniently located for kitchen purposes, the whole project trims out the place nicely while adding a certain functionality to the entire cookbook equation.
     While not my favorite way to spend a day, my number crunching has everything to do with whether I CAN create another and another project...and so I resign myself to the task and chain myself to the desk.
     So in short, the creativity of this day was lived vicariously...I could see creativity going on...I could hear it...I envisioned it. But I did not get to hammer on this one.
     Still and so, something got created! Something manifested from a thought to a thing, which is my favorite thing to do in life, and for this reason, we shall call it a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...