Friday, February 27, 2015

Week in Review

     Figuratively and literally...This has been a week. Longest I've gone without writing (at least publicly, as in blogging), which places me a little out of sorts. Reason being? Life on the farm is far from laid back. (Nice try John Denver.) To the contrary, life around here's been downright crazed.
     For those who think that gardening's a spring/summer sport, think again. The time leading up to and the dark days after harvest are every bit as critical to the equation...Maybe even more so.
     It's no surprise that weather dictates most everything that happens on a farm (if not our lives entirely), but one must give credit where credit is due-- we got a pass in January. (Thank God my baby goats were born on milder days.) That said, February's made up for it in spades (no pun intended).  And while the snow and cold can drive anyone bonkers, my thoughts and my heart cannot help but reflect on why Northerners stay. (I mean, seriously. What keeps them there?) I have a theory(if not downright fear) that one day the flood gates will open and they'll all come racing down South just to get out of the white freeze zones. God bless 'em. Wonder now if they're really feeling like they won that war.
     As for winter weather and life around here, well, it's not so much the snow or even the cold as it is the unpredictability ...Makes it all but impossible to finish a project, much less launch a new one...At the end of the day, I suppose it's all just another reminder that much as we feign control, we control nothing...Those who figure this out early in life are the winners. The rest of us are just slow learners. Kid yourself if you want, but farm folk know otherwise.
     Here's to the season that's shaping up...
     Film at 11 (Literally; the cameras came in this week)
     I'm told the word is "V-logging"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...