Friday, February 6, 2015

About the Blog

   
     So I hit the one year anniversary of this blog and took a few days to  reflect. I had to decide if I wanted to continue the daily episodes, after all, life has gotten really busy with goats being born round the clock and garden rows getting prepped for the spring, etc...etc... Add to this I've got a third cookbook in the works, and well, one must weigh the blog.
     To those of you who've reached out in support, I appreciate it more than you know. But having a few days off to tend to things like online traffic courses and balancing checkbooks...and well as backed up business matters like ordering more cookbooks ( yes, we've sold out of the first two...again, my heartfelt thanks. That makes 40,000 "Cores" and 15,000 "Lids" sold to date.) In short, life and all I write about requires energy and at times, my undivided attention. (Pretty interesting how they did that online traffic course. No way to turn it on and wash the dishes. They force you to sit in front of your screen for 90 minutes... Very smart on their part. Been a long time since I've done that. I don't even watch a movie without a bunch of ironing in front of me.)
     But I digress...Let me take a moment to talk about blogging.
     As you may have discovered, there is no instant way to comment at the point of the blog; instead you can reach me through Facebook, and here's why that is. Given the task I set out to achieve (ie. blog everyday for a year, which I almost made, minus a few days here and there) there is no way to go back and check in a timely manner each time someone comments as the archives are growing. You go back and respond to something 6 months old and I'm bound to miss it. Because the only gene stronger than my writing gene is my people-pleasing gene, I opted not to be rude. Ignoring your comments would be rude. On the other hand, responding to every comment on every blog for 360-something days would be impossible. So we turned that feature off for now until I have someone to manage it. (Time management being the biggest challenge to blog responding.)
     No sooner had I announced to the world (i.e.  my 29 Facebook friends) that I was going to do it~ I was going to follow the Julie/Julia model and blog my way through a year about first time farming experiences, my web girl quit. (It wasn't me blogging that scared her, she had a bigger project before her. It was a time thing.) But the way it timed out for me is I got a fast tutorial in how to insert a blog into a template (title here/content there) and that was it. I'm not techy on a good day, but I got that much mastered and the rest is just there. I haven't a clue who reads it; how many.... I haven't once seen the following. I just keep writing. (Remember Forest Gump with his long beard and smiley T-shirt? That's me with the blog. Write Karlen Write. Like Gump, it's not the destination, it's the journey. Counting hits, keeping up with the analytics, that's a numbers thing and we all know how I feel about numbers. Perhaps I someday I should have someone take a look. For now, I'm blogging for the sake of blogging (what a concept). Now, 380-some-odd blogs later, I'm weighing if it's worth it.
     And the answer is (drumroll please) for me, yes it is. It is very much worth it. If you want to be a better writer, you write. If you want to be a better farmer, you farm. The Nike folks nailed when they swooshed us with "Just Do It" as that's what this is all about...It's me... doing it. And for this reason, alone I shall continue.
     My thanks for your feedback (that which does get to me). Thanks to those of you who've found something inspiring to get you through your day, your pain, your loss... for that is my wish. Everyday is not a piece of cake on a farm. It's fun showing pictures of playful pups and newborn kids, but it's no fun at all to show things like goat afterbirth or C-section stitches or even death, but blogging allows me to share the rest of story by painting a picture when showing one would be too crass.  And perhaps more important yet, it helps me to process it in real time my own feelings, frustrations and emotions as I live this life chapter, so decision made: the blog shall go on.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...