Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minimalist Living--Day One! (All is...sorta well)

     Ok. So I broke the rules already. But in a good way ~
     I made my "Must do" list (as opposed to my "shoulda/woulda/coulda done") list...
     This I did by the book. (See yesterday's blog.)

     But I was supposed to stop there. This was not a day of DO-ing. Today was all about BE-ing...
(i.e. making my list....mapping my plan.)
      So I got a little excited. I jumped the gun. (But at least I did not read ahead. No. No. No. I'm taking this program one step at a time...All 21 days of it. I'm changing a habit!)
      Because 'tis the season, and because having blogged on my lack of Christmas cheer, my friends are concerned I've gone all Scroogey on them. (Note: I don't feel Scroogey; I feel Christmas came too soon and I feel fake to pretend otherwise. What's more I feel weighted down, so putting up a tree didn't make the list. I supposed before these 21 days are through they'll have me dump the tree entirely along with the ga-zillion storage bins of holiday decor in my basement, but fortunately today was not that day. After all, we're only on day one.)
       But what I did decide to do (ingeniously tying "game plan" AND "holiday cheer" together) ...I went to my closet and pulled those things that were a little too new or a little too nice for Goodwill. (This would include everything from my full length leather coat to sweaters with tags still on them...to that Coach bag that was never really me.)  Having done one Goodwill run, (and there will be others) I decided my next pass was a Christmas pass with friends in mind. (And not a moment too soon!)
       Having girlfriends and nieces my size helps. Having friends used to my quirky ways helps even more. This Christmas, they've been duly warned ~ Regifting is not only fair game, it's the only game. And odds are good it's been worn~  But because I'm all about the meaning (which is also to blame for why I can't part with things) my memories are in the very fibre of the item, making it physically painful for me to part with it, despite the fact that I haven't worn it in a coon's age. Now that I live where coons roam, my wardrobe is pretty much boots and a romper, so the pretty things seldom come out of the closet...save for today~ as I popped 'em in a bag with a hand written note saying why this made me think of you, Virginia!
      These items include: a) something I bought while traveling with you, visiting with you, shopping with you; b) something you've long admired that would perfectly fit you; c) something that just looked like you, so here --Try it on... Better yet, keep it!
      It's my first step in detachment. (I have to break these things down. Might take me 42 days, but I'm committed.) So I broke the rules a little bit. Day One I wasn't supposed to do anything but make a list, but since I make lists in my sleep, that part got that done in a flash. I needed to DO something if this is to sink in. This was my human doing act. And a holiday one at that. So THERE, Josh and Ryan! I'm tailoring your plan. I probably should not have started this journey smack dab in the middle of Christmas; then again, it might be just what I need.
      My friends have been warned; I will not be mall shopping; I'm shopping from home (literally). Some gifts may be used; then again, maybe not. I've had a gift closet for years, full of things from all over the world. Just the thought of a friend or a niece or my mom can trigger me to purchase on impact. I've always shopped in advance, primarily because I think of those I love all the time and if I spot something goofy that reminds me of them, I buy it on the spot. In this one area I've actually been quite organized, keeping notebook and gift bags on hand at all times. If I get hit by a bus, y'all head to the basement cause I've got your next five years covered. This year, I've simply added ALL my closets (and pantries and cupboards) to the proverbial mix. (Feel free to call me crazy. I prefer "Minimalist Me".)
Cupid, master of the minimalist concept!
      Toward that end, I can tell even now, I'll need more than 21 days. (I have too much stuff.) But if the shift in consciousness even after day one, is any indication, buckle up. If this is how that Dave Ramsey snowball feels, well, I'm on a mini roll! Miles to go before I sleep, but I'm committed to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...