Friday, December 12, 2014

Minimizing - Day 2

Dear Josh and Ryan, 

No offense, but you said we’d be doing by now. It’s now Day Two, and your rules say “Planning" ~  To me, planning means writing things down, (as in, on a list). I did my list yesterday. Already I’m confused. On your Day 2  you bought a calendar. And you wrote down step by step what you’d be doing for the next 19 days.

Well I don’t know what I’m doing. And since you didn't spell it out,  I’m going to have to improvise. For now I'm going to make sure things leave this house today and doesn't come back. I personally think your Day Two blog lacks direction, but I’m still committed.  Maybe Day 3 will be better. For today, I shall do something toward the goal, but next time, plese offer suggestions. 

Signed, 
Mini Me 

Since Day 2 of my minimizing journey lacks a North star, I improvised. I did not buy a calendar, (though I love buying calendars; I am this side of needing a sponsor when entering an Office Max, but I'm trying to limit my temptation purchasing this season). But being ever committed, I made (another) list --this one being "other places to offload stuff" ... (preferably for money). Today’s simplifying step: Selling old gold and jewelry.

 Since part of the whole minimizing thing is to get out from under all burdens (including debt), this step, likewise, affords a bit of umph toward the snowball effect as there’s nothing like a little cash to motivate you to do more closet clearing. Between those Gold-for-Cash ads and those street guys and their flippy signs, I was curious, but a little hesitant. (Turns out you could investigate these things for days on end, and you should; they’re each run quite differently. Ditto that on consignment shops. (All I can say is read the fine print!) Today I wound up ridding a junky jewelry drawer of broken necklaces and decades old memories and I have to say, it was invigorating.

 Emotional Me kept thinking "but ...aww...that reminds me of (past, past, past)" ...but Intellectual Me said "Keep clearing Evins... make room for things to come!"

Speaking of which, we now have a barn! After 4 long months we are finally finished (and not a second too soon)! The goat babies love it and it warms my heart to think that this Christmas that they too, like some little pygmy nativity scene, will gather round their own personal manger and fall asleep on the hay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...