Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Quiet as a Church Mouse

   
     In case you can't tell (for the picture IS grainy) it's a mouse...in a cup...on my windowsill. (The cup, that is. And now the mouse that is in it. Both are on my windowsill.)
     I'm sitting quietly, watching TV, paying a few bills, when this mouse saunters in. (Note: he did not run, he did not scurry, he MOSIED if anything, first, under the back door and somehow UP my windowsill, where, looking around, he spies a cup. So he crawls in it. After all, the cup seems a nice stopping off point to a mouse in a house on a cold winter night.  "I'll stop here" thinks the mouse, clearly unaffected by my very large, very overweight cat, Boo, who is piled up in a goat bowl by the sink in the kitchen, nowhere in sight, not that it would've mattered.)
     There was a time when a mouse this size  (or any size) would've sent me leaping and screaming...looking for something high (which obviously makes no sense as clearly the mouse has mastered heights). There was even a time when Boo would've noticed, and at the very least, would've pretended to play with said mouse.
     There is even a season when mice don't rule, but only because I have a big, fat black snake living on my deck ...in charge of mice. (But that's in the summer.)
     I look at the mouse...think "Right. Winter. Lucky you. Boo's lazy and Joe Blacksnake hibernates when it's cold."
     And with that I return to my regularly scheduled program. For this is life in the country. (I am not thrilled to be sharing my space with a mouse. But it would've been far more stressful to see the little dude's feet glued to a sticky trap, so considering the alternatives, what cha gonna do?)
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...