Saturday, December 13, 2014

Minimalizing: Day 3 (Ain't No Way!)

Dear Josh and Ryan,

You're kidding right? Your suggestion for Day 3 is so non-realistic you're gonna lose your audience entirely. I'll grant you in theory, it's a novel exercise, but let's be real...Even if I DID want to try it, no one could do it in a day. Nice suggestion, but I can hardly box up my entire house and put it in a spare room and pull out only what I need one day at a time~ You've just gone from practical (with me trying trying) to absurd (why bother).

I will continue to check your blog for daily suggestions, but as for me, (as for any person with a life) what you have us doing on Day 3 could take 3 months. (And no, my friends would not consider that a party.)

Think I'll take it from here~

Sincerely,
Mini Me in Theory

Ok, so today we had to part company. The instructions per my unknown minimalist mentors may be how it's done when you're committing to moving into a tiny house, I was committing to changing a habit (just to be clear). Tis not my goal to have only one toothbrush, one hairbrush and one set of clothes. I want more meaning, less maintaining. So to that end, I am altering the game plan, having decided that for the next 21 days, something will leave this house, period! Today (given it's the holiday season) I did a little home shopping, (and I don't mean QVC)!

With three people in my life setting up first time housekeeping, I started with them in mind. Some need stemware; some had asked for serving pieces. (I have more of this stuff than I'll ever use and am happy for the space it frees up. If you walked into my house today you would not spot one difference, but I can FEEL the difference for having intentionally done it, so it's working for me, so even if you can't see it...well, you aren't the goal, I am. :)

Having packed my Jeep with the first of many deliveries, I took the time for small notes as to how I'd come about each item ...what was meaningful to me...where I was, how I felt when I first encountered it. I reached out to a cousin to ask if she'd like my Mema's china. I called a friend asking what she needed for upcoming parties. It was like shopping at Macy's, only I didn't have to fight for parking.

Biggest challenge was that first fight of the emotional tug to keep familiar things near. Once you get past that, this really does get easier, and before you know it, you're physically FEELING the difference between the newly opened space vs. those corners stacked with clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...