Monday, December 15, 2014

From Minimized to Simplified

     The timing of my simplifying journey could not have worked out better. (Note: I'm shifting from minimizing to simplifying because what Josh and Ryan are doing is extreme and nothing akin to my own efforts, but they have served as great inspiration for getting me off the dime as I create my own version of the formula.)
     So far I've managed to give gifts of a most sentimental nature.  I've managed to bring in cash from old jewelry and a leather coat I never really wore and would not be wearing again. I've managed to pay down a credit card, not charge it up. (Who does this in December?) I've managed to clear one closet entirely and place my entire summer wardrobe in a laundry basket. I've managed to rid my basement, closets, corners, etc...of several "somethings" each and every day. But most important I've managed to dodge the Christmas craze that usually hits me about this time of year. (And while I'm not sure how this happened from clearing a few closets,  it has, and I don't think it coincidental.)
     If "stuff" is on the "effect" side of the cause and effect equation, with the causal agent being an inside thing (i.e. coming from your thoughts), I suppose it makes sense. You tamper with one side of the equation, the other side (by algebraic law) must be affected as well. All I know is it's become a very peaceful Christmas (something I wasn't sure was even possible given my past track record).
     Who knew that slowing your thoughts long enough to ask "Do I really need this item?" would bleed over to "Do I really need this hassle?" Who knew that while reflecting on material elements, what I was really doing was reflecting on the essence of those belongings...what they really stood for...Why was I resisting tossing those college term papers? That unworn leather jacket? That Tiffany ring? Through the lens of simplifying came a serious examination of my holidays as well, and so far (knock wood), it's working. Recognizing that those last minute "can we work it in?" get together requests will still happen, I allowed myself an open calendar and an open mind as to what I signed on for and made precious few commitments, while allowing me more spontaneous moments of "hey, why don't we drive around looking at lights?" If it works out, great. But if not, who says we have to do this before Christmas? Turns out the pressure is purely of our own making.
     But what really shifted was the "how do I want these events to go down?" Last year (most years) each day leading up to Christmas increased with intensity, panic and stress, racing from one group to another to another...praying I hadn't left something behind. This year, I asked myself "What did Ilove the most?" or "Which memories were most meaningful?" and every single one involved one on one time in soulful conversation with someone I love, so my present to me this year was just that...Seek out the soulful and let the rest go. When the texts, calls or emails came hurling, I was prepared this time with a simple, "When you have the time...before or after...I'd love to catch up. But this year, I'm foregoing the run-around-Sue...Please allow me to alleviate your obligations by one. I'll look forward to our time together after you've taken care of the rest.
     As for me, I want to be a "get to" not a "got to" ~
     And that...has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...