Friday, August 1, 2014

New Month/New Projects

I’m fairly convinced that part of what makes life work for me is living schizophrenically. For my wiring, the contrasts do me good. For instance, yesterday was about as country as it gets, complete with farm chores and a dog healing up for her spay surgery there to be hugged on every half hour. Today it was “drive to the city for business” with an early morning drive into Nashville just like 9-5ers do. (How they do this everyday is a mystery to me; the traffic alone is enough to keep me at home. But lucky for me this is not an everyday ordeal.)
Yep, it’s been a long time since those early morning drives to do a radio show that kept others entertained on their early morning drives. Drive time traffic is one thing you don’t see much of in the country; instead you’re apt to see oncoming drivers do the ol’ steering wheel hand flip in that friendly country wave that says “Howdy neighbor~” (Things you don’t see so much in the city.)
That said, it was old home week as my morning meetings involved folks I’d worked with years ago (back in radio days). I hadn’t seen them in coon’s age and in addition to wanting to share a business idea involving farming, I was happy to find they too, were now farming, in their case, raising organic beef.
For the record, organic anything is no small feat. Lots of folks think it means you simply don’t use antibiotics or pesticides in the case of plants, but it is far more complicated than that, so my hat’s off to those who’ve passed certification. It’s a three-year process in gardening, which is why most of us are ‘natural’ or ‘homegrown’ farmers and gardeners first…Organic means serious business, which is why their stuff costs so much more.
The meeting lasted longer as a result of our shared interests in the subject. There was just too much to catch up on, after all last we’d all met, none of us were into this sort of thing. Seems everywhere you turn folks are looking to live healthier lives; just so happens food is a big part of it.
Meeting done and follow up steps in place I made my way back to the country with a couple of stops for errands along the way.
Back home I resumed the comfy jeans and rubber boots; did my standard  check o’ the Rosey girl~ before feeding and watering the babies. I exchanged FB time for dog brushing and goat huggings and just for good measure I canned four more jars of pickles before calling it a day.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...