Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Things My Puppy Loves

           When you've interviewed folks  20 years of your life, it’s not uncommon to be asked, “So who’s your favorite?” And to be honest…I have several…all for different reasons. But one that stands out was when we interviewed a dog enthusiast who shared that on his dog’s birthday, he tried and tried to think just what his dog would like most, and what he came up with was this:
 “What my dog loves most is when I walk through the door at the end of the day” and with that, he decided that for Fido, he’d come home every hour on the hour, so as to give him (10) 10-minute presents (since in dog years, 10 minutes is almost a year).
            It made us laugh at the time until one caller called to suggest that “Yeah, but what a dog hates most, is when you leave 'em alone” which rather nullified all of this guest's best intentions.
            I recall this conversation not because anyone’s having a birthday around here, but because, even without knowing the lab results, my Hiccapup’s in trouble.
 For you new to this blog, Hics (as he’s fondly known now) was not my pick of litter. I had another male, all paired up for Rosebud—Hics, the “No Named” pup was my last to sell. But when Mr. No Name kept hiccupping every time I set a bowl down (causing me to pick him up, separate him from the others and hold him until he’d eaten his portion) well, I fell for the little guy. As a result, he got a home; the other dog got sold, and his name and the rest, as they say is history. 
            Turns out, his cute behavior may’ve had something more to it, as now, Hics, is dealing in something very odd…likes of which I’ve never seen (much less lived through with a dog….and trust me, I’ve had a lot of dogs and seen a lot of things).
            A few weeks back, leaning over to hug sweet Hics, I ran my hand across a marble-sized knot growing along his left side. Fatty globules happen; I made a note. But when, within a week’s time, it had grown to the size of a baseball....Different story entirely.
            I posted pics the day the vet came. Didn’t have it in me to write much. It was a long, long day. Bottom line: we got that nasty tumor out; we stitched him up. He's been fine since.
            Only now the tumor is back. And worse… it’s spreading….(This in 4 short days.) Meanwhile, I’ve gotta wait 10 on a path report telling me just what this mass consists of....All the while, fearing the worst....much as I'm trying not to.
            As long as he’s eating fine, romping about in Hiccapup - style…playing with his sister and his favorite goat, Charlie, I’m good. But today when he came out limping, favoring one side (the side of the tumor) I tried hard not to show it.
            “Come here big guy…. Goooood booooy~” I drawled before commencing to singing….. ”Tha’s my baby Hiccapups…She’s my little Rose-bud~”  (Silly as it sounds, this little ditty solves a myriad of problems around here…Not to mention it lent great comfort when he went under the knife on my dining room floor last Friday... Coincidentally, it was the same silly tune he heard coming ‘round off his meds. He likes it. So we're sticking with it.)
            Never let ‘em see you sweat, right? Every good mama knows this. But what Hics didn’t know was once fed, brushed, hugged and comforted, that behind closed doors, I was calling every dog surgeon I knew while googling canine tumors and cancer in dogs, stressing till I found any hope of an answer.
            The producer in me needs to DO something in times like these, especially when feeling as helpless as I feel right now. So while waiting on calls back, lab reports and other less than fun conversations, I decided to create a list of things Hics loves most, cause from here going forward, I’ve got a keen eye on making Hics' every day a special one~ 

Here's what I've come up with so far...

I, Hiccapup, do hereby love the following: 

--That sound the chain makes when it clinks against the gate

--Hearing my name the way only Mommy says it


--Discovering little bites of chicken underneath the dry stuff

--Long romps after dark (and peeing on things so other dogs know it)

--Fresh water not yet slobbered in

--Things that squeak

--Extracting squeakers from things that once squeaked

--Crinkling, crackling sounds of a bag being opened

--Anything in bags that come in bright yellow~

--Brand new stuffed toy (or a newly washed old one)

--Mommy heading my way packin’ a brush!

--Mommy’s arms squeezed 'round my neck 

--Mommy sayin’ “kiss-kiss” before kissing my nose

Here's to you Hicca-bud~We're in this together...

No matter what happens, your mama's right here by your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...