Thursday, August 21, 2014

TBT~ Fair Game!

           

           I know TBTs are more fun when we show pics of shoulder pads and bad haircuts, but when  a dear friend booked the date (months in advance) to make sure we didn't miss it...well, just thinking of fairs I've known and loved triggered a floodgate of memories, (especially from my past two years)~
Now that I’m back home, the Wilson Country Fair and I are starting a new relationship, complete with grown up photo ops and all new fair memories. For instance, three years back, (my year of firsts) I was back home full time; I was growing my first garden ever, and I was brand new into cookbooks, which gave me the bright idea of hanging at the fair in daylight hours just to see what kinds of people entered baking contests. I wanted to know these ladies…Study them like a hawk…Ask them trade secrets… Get them to share a recipe or two if they would. So I called my best bud to come hang with me at the women’s building so I could study bake-off competitions and their people.        
  Since we were going to be there a few hours anyway and because my friend is a seriously good baker herself, (her name is even “Baker”) she said, “Well, if we’re going to be there anyway, I’m entering a cake~I have a recipe that never loses.”
  “Knock yourself out. Grab the ingredients. Win or lose, we’ll take a picture and put it in the next cookbook. I'll pay for things."
  She came into my house, touting 2 bags of groceries and one sad face. “I can’t enter," says she, spilling bags on counters…You have to be a resident of Wilson County.” (She hails from Dekalb.)
  “How hard is it?” asks the girl whose never made a scratch cake in her life.
  “It takes time, but if you can read and follow instructions, you can do it…I’ll walk you through it, but I can’t do it for you. That would be cheating.”
     With that, I began the tedious process of baking from scratch, sifting every ingredient, squishing up bananas, doing everything by the book. I was up for the experience, both on how to bake a decent scratch cake and how to enter a contest. (2 more firsts) Standing in line with some seriously fine looking cake people, I was asking myself “What WERE you thinking, Evins?”
 Good news is, sometimes you gotta put thinking aside and go with the flow…When in Rome… I was loving the experience and amazingly I DID win! My friend was right. It was an awesome recipe (in book 2). Why I left that women's building with my very first blue ribbon that day…The Wilson County Fair and I were a match made in heaven... well on our way to being best of buds, UNTIL…

            The next year’s fair, where I was no longer entering contests, but now invited to judge one. (Another first and one I didn’t think through when I signed on; mostly I was just thinking “next cookbook” and meeting more nice ladies I could turn to for advice on more baked goods…This time “pies”~)
            In the moment it was a fun experience, albeit not an easy one. I saw old friends (like Lisa Patton from Channel 2); and I made oodles of new ones. But believe you me, judging is HARD work. As if making a final decision wasn’t hard enough, the amount of pie I digested in a 2 hour window of time was really hard and what became really, really hard were my insides after eating too much gluten in such a short window. (I’m not blaming anyone’s pie; they were all delightful. I’m blaming poor judgment by a girl who’d forgotten her family history of Crohn’s). Yep, that little photo op landed me in not one, but two emergency rooms before the weekend was over. My doctor said I was in “gluten” shock. Having never sweated the whole gluten free kinda stuff, I didn’t know you could have such a shock, but turns out, you can!

            Ah, the memories of fairs past~ I can’t say as I didn’t have a blast at the time, but from now on, I must curtail my intake of all things  junky and limit myself to portions more in keeping with my size. 37 bites of 37 different pies with a pickle in between for palet-cleansing purposes, was probably not my wisest move. But I'm not a total gluten virgin, corn dogs and funnel cakes being what they are...
          So here's to year 3 at the hometown fair~
          This time I'm neither entering or judging. 
          I'm just going.
          (And I can't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...