Sunday, August 17, 2014

Helpless to Help: On Ferguson and Other Sad News

           I find myself torn on days like today. Old habits die hard as I allowed myself two Sunday morning talk shows for the sole purpose of getting a better grip on what’s happening in Ferguson, Missouri. I grasp the tragic shooting. But crowds like these and anger this deep don’t happen overnight. I  know I’m not the only one who felt she’d entered a time warp and was watching footage of the civil rights riots all over again.
            I regretfully lost two hours before I had to quit watching. Sadly, I knew no more than I did going in and the residual emotions hovered between helpless and guilt for being so out of the loop.  (Not to go political with a farm blog, but the governor interviewed by Andrea Mitchell should’ve done himself a favor and stayed home. If you have nothing to say, here’s a tip: Don’t go on Meet the Press. Saying “We’re looking into it” or “we’re releasing that next Tuesday” do not good answers make. Granted, it’s easy to become cynical watching politicians posture, but not since Katrina, have we witnessed such a bungled mess.)
            One of my main reasons for coming home to start a little garden was to remove myself from my once daily diet of hard news. I figured by unplugging the TV and surrounding myself with loving life forms and dilemmas I can pretend I have a modicum of control over was better for my soul than hard news and combative talk radio. Still, the desire in me TO help is alive and well. Problem is: what IS the helpful thing to do? How are we (people not living in Ferguson, but fellow citizens participating in this great American experiment) to react while one of our cities goes up in tear gas?
            My spiritual side says “ Turn off the TV. Hug a goat. Read Walden. Go pull some weeds.” After all, what possible good can I contribute living this far away? But deeper still, something says “Not so fast, Evins. Pay attention. Be aware. Something’s happening here…and what you’re witnessing in Ferguson, in Syria, in Iraq, in ________(pick a story/pick a place) ” is but a symptom of a much deeper problem.
            If we as her inhabitants, are cells in the body of Mother Earth (or “Gaia” as she was called in Greek mythology) then we’ve got a problem. Our girl is sick, and not just a little sick. She’s cancer sick. And it’s spreading… cropping up all over her body.
            Like my friend on the raw veggie diet, we need radical change. A change in diet…A change in lifestyle. A change in consciousness. Clearly bandages aren’t cutting it anymore; business as usual is not going to fly. I’m certainly not suggesting I have the answers here, but I can give you about 20,000 filaments that won’t light the bulb. I think we’ve all got a pretty good clue of what’s NOT working.
            The riots brought to mind an experiment conducted in Washington DC back in the 90s by a group of advanced meditators (i.e. TM-Sidhas) who set out to prove scientifically that a percentage of a population, committing to meditation—can alter the vibrational frequency of an environment and literally lower a crime rate. (Picture the ripples of a rock being thrown into a pond, as the waves are absorbed by the shoreline. Well, in this case, the Sidha’s were the shoreline, absorbing and neutralizing the shock.) The results of this study are pretty amazing. To read more, got to http://www.worldpeacegroup.org/washington_crime_study.html
            Until I know what to do, sometimes doing nothing is best, and today is one such day (made simpler by feelings of overwhelm, helplessness and sheer, raw sad). If I, in my own little corner, in my own little house can do but one thing for this day, the best my still voice offers is “Be still, and know…” (And until it instructs me otherwise, this one’s always a good fallback. Praying for peace is a second.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...