Saturday, August 23, 2014

Rocky Top, You'll Always Be...

     Home Sweet Home, to me... (Literally)


Over the weekend I caught up with dear friends I had not seen in a coon’s age who now have the dubious honor of saying they live in (on?) Rocky Top. (Gonna take awhile to get used to this. I offer you the Osbourne Brothers (original) version to get you in the spirit.) From now on when singing my alma mater's anthem with 100,000 other orange-clad zealots at Neyland Stadium, I may have a genuine tear in my eye, as Rocky Top really is Home Sweet Home to me. 
It’s hard to imagine this hole-in-the-wall town with a population of 1,700 people with a median income of $14,000, suddenly booming with 3D interactive IMAX theatres and multi-million dollar theme parks. Where once your options were Glenn’s Pizza or the Unicorn CafĂ© (it was a big deal when Cracker Barrel came to town),  I hear they'll soon have pirate-themed restaurants and all sorts of fancy eateries. I can hear the talk at the local barber shop now.
Thanks to my pal Ranger Mark, I am now the proud owner of one of the very first Rocky Top “T’s” hot off the press, from the greatest state park in the entire system: (Norris Dam). So much for that little best kept secret. News is out. Papaw probably just rolled over in his grave to think of his sweet little town turning Branson overnight, but hey, that’s life.
The logos are complete; the new signs are drying. Things are gearing up in a town that can’t seem to hold onto a name (prior to Lake City, it was Coal Creek). It’s rich with history, loaded with nature and soon it’s going to be back to back parking…(I hope they’re ready!)

Dear Granny and Papaw,
I miss you more than words can say….The memories run deep from the many long rides to get to you…passing through little towns like Harriman, Rockwood, Farragut...It was a long, but a pretty drive from Lebanon to Lake City. I remember peering through the windows of that big Greyhound bus when I was itty bitty, eagerly counting the stops until we’d see your smiling faces. You were the greatest grand folks on earth and our times spent in Lake City are among my dearest childhood memories.
Just curious if you’re catching the news down here?  Do you get CNN where you are? (Cause they’ve been all over your turf these past few weeks~)
I’m sure you’ve got better things to amuse, but did you hear they just renamed your town again? Yep. That’s right. You’re sweet hometown—where you were born, went to school, courted…married....where Papaw worked at the bank and Gran ran the library and played the organ at the First Baptist Church every Sunday for 50 years. Sadly, Lake City (and before that, Coal Creek) is no more. Going forward it will now be “Rocky Top” and if UT ballgames are any indication, I’d say the locals need to get ready to hear that tune a lot. (Hope they like it.)
Never pictured you “Wild as a Mink” Granny, and I’m pretty certain you never got your corn from a jar, but do you recall anyone having a moonshine still? (Wait. Don’t answer that.)
Sweet little Lake City will never be the same…One can only hope they maintain the decorum, but honestly, between theme parks, water rides and interactive 3D IMAX things, I’d say buckle up—Life is about to get interesting. (It’s a shame we couldn’t have held onto your house. Can you imagine how rich Mom would be about now?)
Yep. Felice and Boudleaux have put you on the map! (Although according to their kids, who tried to block it, their parents too, must be rolling in graves. Seems they thought it a bad idea as well.) But hey, that’s progress for you.
All I can say is if money’s gonna come pouring in, it couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks. I hope Lake City is ready to become the next Gatlinburg, but personally I liked having Ben’s Grocery across the street and walking to church on Sundays.
 I’d say football season alone will have you bursting at the seams as fans swoop in to scope you out…Wanting to climb your mountains, hike your trails. But then again, if anyone deserves the traffic and the funds, it’s sweet little Lake City (assuming that’s what they wanted for themselves).
I sure as heck hope you’re laughing…
The older I get the more I cherish small towns like the one you grew up in…the one you raised our mama in…the one I loved to visit when coming to see the grandfolks I adored.
Life is funny, is it not?
Hope it’s peaceful where you are…
Think of you everyday…and now it will go deeper every time I hear sing that song. (If you see Dad, let him know. He’s bound to be clogging about now!)

Love you dearly,

Your girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...