Thursday, August 14, 2014

Nose is Itching/Company's Coming

 
       I've always heard if your nose is itching, then company's coming. Curious as to the specifics, I pulled out my favorite "folklore" book only to discover if it itches on the right, a man is coming; if it itches on the left, a woman's coming. If it itches all over (as is my case) it indicates a crowd is on the way, which I hope is not true as today is blocked off for writing.
     But while perusing my handy-dandy wives' tale guide (I have several from my "I Didn't Know That" years wherein worthless trivia was my forte') I took note of the fact that in addition to my nose itching, my palm was itching as well...Only the right one, which according to the book, means money's on the way. (That one I'll take.)
     But beyond the books, I grew up on superstitions. I knock on wood to this day; I toss salt regularly over my shoulder and I never walk under ladders or step on sidewalk cracks. My Aunt Ann taught her girls never to return a food container empty and my Uncle Joe (yes, the congressman) a man who played it safe when it came to superstitions, was adamant about going out the same door he came in and God forbid you put his hat on a bed.
     I learned early and practice to this day, the swish-swish of an "X" across my windshield if a black cat crosses my path.... (Ironically, if you LIVE with a black cat as do I, well that's good luck according to Egyptians....They called them magician cats, and I've no doubt Boo is one.) Similar theories go for those born on Friday the 13th, as was my brother; a day that others named a phobia for, is a good date combination for guys like him.
     Meanwhile, I learn of new superstitions everyday. Why just the other day when I went to fetch poor Heffner (the goat that jumped the gate at the auction) the nice lady in whose yard I found him, graciously gave me some iris bulbs from her garden and then corrected me when I said "Thank you." (Apparently you're not supposed to say thanks for living plants or cuttings...It was a new one on me, and a tough one, after all, it was very neighborly of her to share.)
     I've already confessed I have a thing about 3s (like if I hear the same name 3 times from 3 different sources--I reach out to the person, even if a total stranger). I believe orbs on pictures prove spirits can be photographed, and I keep a cross overhead when I sleep. (And for what it's worth, I don't believe that ghosts exist...I KNOW they do.)
     All this said, and much as I'd like to think money's coming and company's not, it seems there is another possibility for my itchy palm and nose (which got me thinking in the first place) ... They're called histamines...It appears if you eat jalapeño peppers straight from the plant in record number as I have been doing these past few days, who knew your body could react by itching up a storm?
     When it comes to garden fresh jalapeños, guess I'll just have to itch. (That's why God made Benedryl, right?)
   
   
   

1 comment:

  1. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is
    written by him as no one else know suhch detailed about my problem.
    You're incredible! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...