Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Kind of Days You Live For

     While I have more to say than one blog will contain, I retire from this day tired...utterly spent, and yet mindful that these are the days you live for on a farm.
     Starting out with my usual routine, I had just gotten everyone fed and was actually on the phone handling a business matter when I looked out to see that all too familiar dance of a goat going into labor.
      "Sorry. I'll have to call you back." I tell my lawyer. "We're about to birth a baby over here." I was in my romper quick as a flash and out the door with towels, just as the second baby was born. Cupid is the proud mother of twins: one boy/one girl...Both absolutely adorable.
     Between TJ, my big pink towels and Cupid in all her maternal glory, the babies were greeted by a diverse welcoming committee of sounds, textures and smells, but responded in full appreciation. (I marvel to this day at how quickly baby goats take to planet earth. They come out hopping and don't stop till the day they die.)
     Gushing and worthless for just wanting to eat them up, the only thing that pulled me away was a faint cry in the distance as another goat mama (Dasher) went into labor as well, birthing a picture perfect, solid black baby girl. (Dash is a tad more shy, so finding a quiet place off to herself was nothing surprising; fortunately the temps were mild and the day just perfect for this sort of thing. By the time I gathered up extra food, both mamas and all babies were ready to check out their maternity ward stalls to get used to the new digs, the new routines and the new life that lies in store.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...