Sunday, January 18, 2015

Farming at Full Throttle

   

    Expanded family; expanded plans. A barn with stalls is a good idea, but a barn with outdoor play pens seems an even better one. Nothing inspires creativity like beautiful weather and a bunch of goat babies hopping around at your feet.
     It's Farmville, for real. (I have yet to figure out why people send me Facebook invites to play Farmville when it's obvious I'm living in Farmville, but to each his own. I'm sure they mean well, but honestly, who has the time? Better yet, who has the desire when you can Live It in real time?)
     That said, there has not been one day in the past 7 that has gone according to plan. Meetings have been postponed. Nashville drives, rethought. I'm living the adage about making God laugh (just show him your plans) as things thought important get reprioritized about the time another goat goes into labor or a new idea shoots across my mind.
   
 For me, the secret to a happy life lies in the creative process itself, and when living in the flow of creation (the ultimate being new life coming through) you can't help but find it contagious.
     For a girl who lives to create, it is heaven on earth to look at a pile of wood and ask "Can we make that into a play pen?" or sit under a tree with a sketch pad and plan a new driveway or lay out this spring's garden.
     The good news is, things are picking up steam.  If I had to look at one thing that shifted the momentum from "fun little hobby" to "real time farmer/gardener" it would be the day I made the decision to ask for help, for with helping hands, projects have starting to take on a life of their own. This week we've brought in a builder, an intern and an assistant to add to last month's farm hand (who is the greatest gift I've ever given myself). As with my little goat family, so goes my working farm family, for if I have learned anything about this return to the earth, it is that it takes a village...You can forget the notion of doing it alone. Farming doesn't work that way...(At least mine didn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...