Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Dance


As I sit at the end of this day, I marvel at all that was insignificant, that I count as significant:

I woke up to regularly scheduled appointments (to be honest, the main one was an annual mammogram…Nothing earth-shattering, but on the books, all the same)…

After that, a few calls…a bit of writing…some new plans and projects in the works…

I got up. Fed puppies, newly weaning…Goats, nearly freezing…(thankfully, just fine, thanks to heat lamps and blowers)…But just as I was heading out to the “outer world”, I spotted something that, oddly, I’ve now seen for the last 3 days running, and that was a goat, doing a very odd squatty kinda dance…

I called the number who called me yesterday confirming said appointment, totally prepared to pay the late / no-show fee if it meant not letting anything die to a freeze…I explained to the nurse what was happening…that I had a goat going into labor…Instead of reading me the rules, she said, “Don’t you worry, Sweetie…You take care of that baby. Why I used to raise goats too…I’d be making the same call right now.” (Significant moment #1: the joy of living in a small town.)

Significant Moment #2: My goat, Vixie, had her baby…about 36 minutes later. Fortunately, it came just as I ushered her under her own heat lamp with 3 of yesterday’s babies ogling the festivities…(and happy to share their lamp with the newby)…(Significant Moment #3)

I restacked my “to do” list….Re-arranging what I thought was important…

Topping that list, was securing a second “shed” for hay and heat…(Yes, I wire mine…with heat and lights…Right now, expanding is all that matters.) I found a repo'd shed at a whale of a discount...already wired, no less ~ This never happens. (Significant Moment #4)

I also had a dog food run to make…and with that, some canned cat food, and a little goat chow…
(Even moments like these I find significant.)

I double checked the business meetings that got canned today, making sure we are on for tomorrow.

And last, I had the first of 4 visitors to come select their puppies…(a reality that is dawning seriously on me now….How do mother’s do it when their kids go off to school? I swear, I’m about to have folks sign papers just to let me still visit them.)

All of this to say, some days, what we think is important, isn’t what God thinks is important…Best we can do, is be flex and ready to roll when God tosses us a baby here~ a goodbye there….

In wrapping it up…reviewing the day, I flipped on the TV just in time to see Jay Leno’s final farewell…

Here I am, sentimental about pups I’ve known for 4 weeks, leaving in two…and goats that made it thanks to others that shared…

Here he is leaving 22 years of a gig, being honored by the likes of Billy, Garth and Oprah…

As I watched him tear up …in utter sincerity, I thought about my day and how my own had its moments…It only added to the significance to hear Garth sing (as if singing specifically to me):

 I’m glad I didn’t know…the way it all would end…the way it all would go… Our lives are better left to chance…I could’ve missed the pain…but I’d’ve had to miss the dance…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...