Sunday, April 20, 2014

Picture Perfect Easter

         
           I don’t know when I’ve seen such a picture perfect day as our Easter here in Middle Tennessee. Between the sunshine, the breeze and all our purple and white blossoms (apple and cherry) bursting into bloom, everywhere you looked seemed to have come out of a travel brochure for some luxury vacation spot here in the South.
            From sunrise services to gatherings with friends to evening talks folding well into the night, I reflect on the many conversations centering on life ahead with new chapters and new projects likewise bursting in bloom. The entire day seemed to resonate with Easter's theme of resurrection and renewal at the most fundamental level. I can’t remember when I’ve enjoyed a holiday so thoroughly.
            While driving home from Nashville having visited neighbors and friends I had not seen in years, I thought of the recent Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton duet “You Can’t Make Old Friends” (I'm particularly fond of the bridge in that song):

When Saint Peter opens the gate,
And you come walking in.
I will be there just waiting for you.
You can't make old friends

You can't make old friends
Can't make old friends
It was you and me, since way back when.
But you can't make old friends.


While no one's in a race to get there, I have to say the thought occurs to me often and I do look forward to the day. For my old friends and those I love who spent Easter on the other side, here’s hoping yours was every bit as beautiful…your baskets just as full, and your sunrise services a most amazing  beauty to behold, much less experience... (I can only imagine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...