Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Kinda Day...The Artist Way


           
       They say we are made in God’s image. The very first thing we’re told about God is "In the beginning God created..." If I was told nothing else, this would speak volumes. To me, creating is the secret to life. It’s what God put us here to do. It may be a baby. It may be a family. It may be a business, a barn or a goat sign...
       Whenever I get stifled, stressed or sideways, it’s usually because I’ve gone too long without creating. One good round of allowing my mind a new project (be it an article, a chapter, a wall hanging or a cake) I can get myself recalibrated and back on track if I’ll just revert to Creating 101. Best therapy in the world…To me, it’s not luxury; it’s necessity if I hope to stay sane (which yes, is a relative word).

            Watching the barn wood stacking up on my lot (as I await the builders so as to start an even bigger creation) sent my mind a reeling…Oh the things we could do with that wood…The ideas were flowing…Times like this I eventually reach out to my partner in crime, Ria, (my best bud from childhood and fellow creating fool. She's a whiz at these things... That girl can paint or draw anything; she just sees things differently…Put us together and Katie-bar-the-door!)
           
          We blocked off the day, cleared off the living room table, threw a tarp, and pulled out the paints. The rest, as they say, is history.

            In between rounds the work-work still got done; there were trademarks to scan and renew; lawyer calls to field; reprint details to finalize… But the smell of paint and the laughter of a friend put those not-so-fun tasks in perspective. It’s why we do it, after all. In the end, it’s all about creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...