Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Little Things in Life (Or Little Live Things)

     In the spirit of equal time it seems only fair that I dedicate one blog to the frog...
   
     Yes. It's true. I have a frog. And just like every other member of my funny cast of characters, Wills has a personality all his own, today stretching out his little froggy legs doing his best Baryshnikov as if to say "What's a frog gotta do around here to get a mention?"
     Every morning, as goats start to squawk and dogs start to wag...
     Just about the time Boo jumps up on his breakfast table poking my arm with his paw, nudging me to "Hurry it up with the cat food already, can't you see I'm starving?"
     As Minsky patiently takes her perch, looking up ever so faithfully as if to say, "Yo, You...with the opposable digits...Can you save watching weather till AFTER you put the bowl down?"
     One by one as life around me start to waken, each in their own personal way, I confess, I don't always put the tank critters first. (They usually eat at night.) But today, one glance at my little desk tank (home to Jonathan Livingston Betta-fish and Prince William the frog) and I do a double take.
     When I wasn't looking, seems Wills got long. (I mean, stretched out, he's twice the length of the fish!) Never knew frogs to have growth spurts, but apparently they can and he did. Just as Hiccapup has now hit his lanky, teen-dog years, so too has Wills apparently begun to stretch out of his comfort zone (or else he was just trying to get my attention, which worked, as he stopped me long enough to reflect on this first time behavior).
     Placing palm to tank, (our version of a hug), I paused to wonder just how much consciousness might this little dude have?
    Whatever his intention, it worked. He seemed genuinely pleased to be acknowledged. As for me, it made me smile to see him blink...then kick. He raced up to the surface and back down again as if to say "I did it! I did it! I made the lady stop! Maybe today's my day!
     You did, Wills! You did, indeed.
     And to honor this momentous occasion . . . My first frog blog!
     Here's to my determined little guy...
     (Just goes to show ~Where there's a Wills, there's a way!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...