Friday, September 5, 2014

TGIF! (Of Deadlines and Runner's Highs)

           Half the reason I love a deadline (if not the whole reason) is for the relief that comes in the seconds, minutes, hours (and if you stretch it…entire weekends) that follow~
            I once dated a marathon runner. Personally, I’m not into this kind of thing; got no gene for it. Just watching him train wore me out, though I did marvel at the commitment (if not the insanity) that drove him to head off in the pre-dawn hours of bitter cold winter to get his training runs in. I had heard there was this thing called a “runner’s high” …some zone they claim you hit where everything is surreal and endorphins surge your brain. Perhaps if there was a drug-like state to be attained, it made more sense. Maybe he knew something I didn’t. Hitting euphoria was the only reason I could imagine that you’d even consider a thing like running.
            But according to him, runner’s highs are myth. “The only high in running when you hit the door” I recall him saying.
            If that’s the case and the only fun in running is not doing it anymore…well, thanks for the info pal. Count me out!
            But I DO understand about getting to completion. Tasks completed. Check lists checked. These mini moments bring their own mini highs and those of us with ADD live for such joys…Little bursts of endorphins! Little silent “atta girls”… Don’t know a thing about runner’s highs, but I live for deadlines met…and weeks well spent. I for one mean it literally when I type the letters TGIF, for I DO thank God and I DO love Fridays!
            Such was my day. Such was my week.

            Granted, it was a short one (which often trips you up) but for the 4 days that remained, we covered a lot of turf. Tackling the last of the Friday meetings (a full day in the city with lawyer lunches and printing press powwows) brought great relief. Nothing like a good and productive day, after which,  I clicked my heels three times and said, “There’s no place like home…There’s no place like home!” (And then Dorothy and her little dog, Toto said “Bring on the weekend!”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...