Saturday, September 13, 2014

Lover of the Process

            It was a good and productive day. My head hit the pillow with a thud.
            There’s a Sufi saying I live by, which states: “Once the decision is made, the doing becomes effortless.” While much effort lies ahead, straddling that point of decision was draining me more than any work I could imagine. At some point, I had to decide.
            So I decided.
            I decided to do something new…Writing is tricky on a good day; but in the case of the historic, the journalistic, the investigative…(not to mention, writing on assignment with a co-writer, which is a first) I bravely signed on.
Much research ahead. Endless interviews. (This part, a plus.) Time to dust off the journalism 101 notes for gathering fair and balanced -- (vastly different from writing from observation alone, as is the case with trivia, cookbooks and blogs). In short, a disciplined chance to flex the writing muscle…broaden my producer skills. Reaching for different…Something demanding both time and resources, but more, a commitment to a fellow writer I respect greatly…(Kinda thinking these are the things for which co-dependency is a good thing….  a sure fire way of seeing it through.)
            Having spent months culling over (and over and over) a list of the many interviews needed to start, our short list held dozens of names. But now, having jumped into the first of said list, well, that list has doubled yet again. I can only imagine what additional names or resources we have yet to uncover.
 No small project, by any stretch; one that may take years. But today we did the Nike thing and Just Did It J after which, when checking to make sure the other survived, we discovered the rush of having made a decision to be as exciting as the project itself… no doubt nature’s way of bolstering us out of the starting gates, for a race we’re both eager to run.
Here’s to new adventures, new creations and learning as we go.
Seems a perfect combination…The perfect storm.
As I sang at my kindergarten graduation: Que Sera Sera

I’m all about the process, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...