Monday, September 15, 2014

Fuss 'Em or Hug 'Em


           
           I know raising pups is nothing to compare to bringing up kids, but I’m sure there’s a karmic element in here somewhere, and for whatever worries I caused my own folks, well…I apologize.
            I spent the better part of my day trying not to worry for 2 dogs who decided to take their romp time to a whole new (daytime) level.
            Last night, exhausted and trying to get Hix back in the pen, I decided what the heck, he could stay inside with his mama. For whatever reason, I never had to housebreak Rosey; and odder yet, Hix inherited that trait. So everything was going fine until around 5 am when I heard a strange crunching sound (i.e. something you didn’t want chewed on getting chewed on. ”Approved” sounds would include licking, slurping and snoring. So familiar are these that a crunch or a crack coming from downstairs could not be good.)  I flip on the lights only to discover how close my work satchel came to being a dog toy. (Fortunately, I’m a light sleeper when it comes to odd sounds and I heard it before the dog ate my homework.)
            Given it was 5 am (and I was too tired to figure whatever else might look like fun to a dog such as Hix) I tossed ‘em both out, thinking they’d hang on the porch til the rest of us woke up and I could fix breakfast. (Then again, I wasn’t thinking like Hix.) Free to roam about the country, he took off, and for reasons that aren’t her usual self, Rosey took off with him, and “off” they stayed for the better part of the day.
            As a child (when my dogs would roam and I’d be scared to death) my dad used to say, “They’ll come back when they’re hungry…” which as it turns out, is solid advice, even today, (though I did pull in the drive on one neighbor down the lane thinking I’d spotted Rosey, only to find the face did not match the body parts…Seems there are a whole lotta Rose-looking dogs on this lane!)
            On my return drive home from afternoon meetings it dawned on me  I had had Rosey “chipped” with that little spay operation (really should get that thing registered). But thankfully, both big headed dogs were lying faithfully at my doorstep by the time I pulled in.
            Gathering groceries and Goodwill toys (intended for my good-willed two that remained properly in their pen, namely TJ and Rosebud) I made my way up the stairs to see to waggy-tailed, lanky dogs giving it their best “We’re so hungry…Where’ve you been?” look.
            Not knowing whether to fuss at them or love them, my fear gave way to relief as I reheated their breakfast bowls while hitting my knees to thank them (and God) for their safe return.
            (From now on, it’s registered chips and updated tags for all my babies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...