Friday, September 19, 2014

The Part I Like the Best

         The beginning. The visualizing…Those first stages of a dream you’ve had first in your mind, then on paper, for weeks, months…maybe even years. From thought, to written word (and sketches), to spoken word as you start bringing that dream into focus, reaching out for those who might help…I’m a lover of the process. Creativity is an energy to behold, and an even greater one to have taking hold of you.
My latest-- a barn, designed to one day serve dual functions, first as shelter for my babies…a bit down the road, to convert its loft into meeting if not living space. (A few more books to create first. Soon and very soon. Priority is shelter before winter and more babies on the land. Priority, always the babies.)
            It brings back memories of the church I now live in. From start to finish, (not counting the years long before when I began dreaming of one day writing from a place so sacred). My church took three years. From the time I spotted it, to the time I figured out who to talk to about it, to the time I found crews who could disassemble, while finding a separate team to reassemble on the other end. There was land to secure, contractors to hire…codes to adhere to. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a dear friend shortly out of high school, who, three years into her marriage, found herself pregnant with a second child, while she, her husband and her first baby, tripped over one another while living in a trailer. I asked “Did you plan it this way?” to which she replied, “Lord, Karlen, if women thought these things all the way through, we’d be extinct.”
            Hardly a comparison, but I had similar thoughts about birthing my church. I wouldn’t take anything for what my 20-something/30-something self did with my wild-eyed dream. But had someone said, “This will take 3 years and you’ll find yourself facing this, and this and this…” I would have likely been too scared to have done it. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. (And for sure, creating is.)
            So the barn’s off and running. I drag my laptop out to write…Snap a shot that can no way capture the essence of moments like these as the bones of the dream starts to form. I recall my early church days, driving for an hour just to sit under timbers no further than these…wanting not only to watch the manifestation unfold, but wanting to breathe it in through every phase. For my church, I was changing her tune…Shifting her purpose, but never once did I think about shifting her soul…To the contrary, one of the main reasons I wanted to renovate a church was for the loving childhood memories of visiting and worshipping in little country churches even smaller than her…Small, sweet congregations of 25 – 30…struggling to keep a roof repaired or the heat bill paid. Oh the stories their timbers could tell…The energies their walls would absorb…I refer to these as the thin places…those spots where we go to renew, where the veil between heaven and earth is a tad more opaque, allowing  you a glimpse into what heaven must really be. I wanted those bones preserved. I wanted to breathe new life into her and her, new life into me. I wanted her to know that despite her falling down look, someone still wanted her; she would be beautiful again, though perhaps in her next incarnation, for different kind of spiritual uplifting.

            As with churches, so with barns…So with anything we give a portion of our life’s energies in exchange for, pouring our passion and our love into the vision…There’s something sweet about moments like these. As the old church tune aptly put it…“There’s a sweet, sweet spirit in this place…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...